This meal is going to be remarkable. What is so remarkable about chicken, cheddar cheese, and salsa, you ask? They all contribute to a Mexican festival. The festival of taste, of course.
Besides being incredibly simple to make, this recipe will jazz up any boring weeknight dinner. It features chicken, which is one of the healthiest meats to eat, due to its low-calorie and high-protein nutritional profile. You can see all of the low-carb chicken recipes we have made on our blog.
This recipe also uses salsa. You can make your own salsa at home or buy some at the store. If you go with the later, be sure your salsa does not contain added sugars or artificial flavors.
The same goes for taco seasoning. We recommend making your own blend using your favorite organic spices. If you go with store-bought, then make sure you avoid any brands with MSG or added sugars.
These taquitos are flavored with freshly squeezed lime juice, which is an excellent source of vitamin C. Vitamin C has several proven health benefits. It has been shown to boost immunity, reduce the duration and severity of the common cold, and contribute to collagen production. (1) (2)
If you are on the keto diet and take collagen in supplement form, then adding more vitamin C to your diet will only complement your efforts.
Additionally, vitamin C is typically found in many foods that are hard to squeeze in on a low-carb diet, such as oranges and other sugary fruits. For this reason, flavoring your foods with lemon and lime is a great way to get more vitamin C in.
You can add fiber and healthy fats to your meal by topping thes taquitos with avocado or guacamole, which is a staple food on the keto diet. Add some sour cream for digestive health and healthy bacteria while enjoying with your favorite low-carb tortillas!
In our recipes, we use the instant pot 3-Quart Duo Mini 7-in-1. This model is ideal to cook for 1-2 people while the 6-quart and 8-quart models are intended for bigger families.
Our instant pot has 13 standard programs which are incredibly easy to use. You simply need to choose the correct button and set a timer according to our recipe instructions and enjoy!
Let’s Do It!
How To Make Shredded Chicken Using an Instant Pot
Add the chicken slices to the instant and pour the salsa over the chicken. Place the lid on and cook for 15 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally when the time is up.
Shred the chicken inside the instant pot or place the chicken on a plate and use two forks to shred it into small fibers.
How To Make Chicken Taquitos
To add more flavors to the cooked chicken for your taquitos, add taco seasoning and lime juice to shredded chicken and stir.
You can make your own keto-friendly tortillas using a combination of different types of cheese. See our keto cheese taco shells recipe for more tips.
Alternatively, you can buy store-bought keto-friendly tortillas made from cheese, such as Folios Cheese Wraps, too.
Once you have the chicken fillings ready, place about 2 tablespoons of the chicken and salsa mixture on each tortilla and top with shredded cheddar cheese. Roll each taquito gently and secure with a toothpick to hold in place.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and add the taquitos to a baking tray lined with foil. Brush the taquitos with olive oil and bake for 10 minutes (or until crisp).
Serve with your favorite low-carb toppings!
Similar Keto Mexican Dishes You Can Try:
- Keto Tortillas with Avocado, Tomato and Beef Fillings
- Keto Chicken Enchiladas with Cheese Tortilla Wraps
- Keto Chicken Taquitos
- Keto Beef Taquitos with Cheese Taco Shells
Keto Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Taquitos
For Shredded Chicken:
- 1 lb chicken breast cut into stripes
- 10 oz salsa low carb and keto-friendly
For Taquito Fillings
- full-fat yogurt or sour cream
- guacamole or mashed avocado
- cilantro chopped
- lime wedges
- Prepare the chicken: Place chicken slices in the instant pot. Pour the salsa over the chicken. Put the lid on and pressure cook for 15 minutes (or set up poultry mode for 15 minutes for 6 and 8-quart instant pot). When the time is up, let the pressure release naturally.
- Shred the chicken, add taco seasoning and lime juice, and stir well.
- Now we are ready to make taquitos (make sure you chose nice and pliable low carb tortillas): place 1 ½ -2 tbsps of the prepared chicken on the edge of each tortilla and top with a spoonful or two of shredded cheese. Gently roll each taquito and secure with a toothpick.
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper, foil or silicone mat. Arrange your taquitos on a baking sheet, brush with olive oil, and bake for 10-12 minutes or until crisp.
- When baked, place on a plate and serve with chopped cilantro, full-fat yogurt or sour cream, sliced avocado, guacamole or salsa and lime wedges. Enjoy!