This Keto Zuppa Toscana Soup recipe will make your entire house smell delicious and inviting, which could be problematic if you don’t make enough of it. I guarantee everyone who smells or tastes this soup will want more.
It features Italian sausage as the primary source of protein. I love hot Italian sausage because it’s so much more flavorful than chicken and even regular sausage. It takes this soup to another level, and will shake up your weeknight dinner rotation, giving you something to look forward to on an otherwise boring Monday night.
This keto Italian sausage soup also calls for plenty of vegetables that contribute to the fiber, vitamin, mineral, and antioxidant profile. These nutrients help heal the body from the inside out as they fight inflammation and support immune and digestive health, which are the key to maintaining lifelong health.
Cauliflower is especially healthy because it’s a sulphur-containing vegetable. It has been shown to help protect against cancer in numerous studies, and research shows that sulphur compounds may also fight off heart disease, diabetes, and neurodegenerative diseases (*). Roasting your cauliflower and enjoying it in soup form makes it much easier to digest.
This low carb keto zuppa toscana recipe also provides healthy greens from spinach, which has recently been linked to increased muscle strength in some studies (*).
Spinach is also a natural source of nitrate, which increases blood flow to perform duties like reducing arterial stiffness, increasing wound healing, and even assisting with reproductive and sexual health (*).
Other important benefits of eating spinach include reduced stress levels and depressive episodes (*). Spinach is also a great plant-based source of calcium to support bone health.
The garlic in this recipe contains natural antibacterial and anti-microbial properties to help fight pathogens that might cause you to become sick, which can help boost immunity, while the onions provide immune-boosting prebiotic fibers.
You can treat this as a low carb version of Olive Garden Copycat Recipe. I guarantee you will love how this soup tastes and makes you feel! Make sure to prepare extras.
How to Make Low Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup
Start by tossing the cauliflower florets in olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Roast in the oven for 35 minutes at 375F.
Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium high heat. Add the bacon and cook until brown.
Remove bacon from the pan and add the onion. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until soft.
Add the spicy Italian sausage to the pan and cook on medium heat until brown – about 5 minutes. Season the cooked sausage with garlic, sea salt, pepper, and chili flakes (or red pepper flakes). Cook another 30 seconds or so.
Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil then turn heat to low. Cover with a lid and summer for 15 minutes.
Add the bacon, roasted cauliflower, and heavy cream. Simmer for 5 minutes until you get a creamy broth then turn off heat.
Lift the lid, add spinach, and put the lid back on. Allow to sit for 10 minutes until the spinach is wilted.
Sprinkle your Tuscan soup with grated Parmesan cheese and enjoy!
More Keto Soup Recipes You Can Try:
- Cream of Broccoli Soup
- Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
- Chicken Fajita Soup
- Beef and Cabbage Soup
- Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- White Chicken Chili Soup
Keto Zuppa Toscana Soup
- 1 cauliflower head chopped into florets
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¾ lb Italian sausage
- 4 bacon slices chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth low carb
- 1 tbsp onion diced
- 2 cups fresh spinach chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ tsp chili flakes or red pepper flakes
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese grated for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven 375F.
- In a bowl, toss cauliflower with olive oil, salt, and black pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 35 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, heat remaining olive oil in a soup pot over medium high heat, add chopped bacon, and cook until browned.
- Remove bacon bites and add chopped onion. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened.
- Add sausage and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 5 minutes. Season the meat with sea salt, black pepper, chili flakes, and minced garlic. Cook until fragrant – about 30-40 seconds.
- Pour in chicken broth, bring to a boil, and turn the heat to low. Cover with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add roasted cauliflower, cooked bacon, and heavy cream. Simmer for an additional 5 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Stir in spinach, put on the lid, and let sit for 10 minutes to wilt the spinach.
- Serve sprinkled with grated Parmesan and enjoy!
Is zuppa toscana keto friendly?
Yes, Zuppa Toscana can be keto-friendly, especially when you replace potatoes with cauliflower. My recipe above has 6 net carbs per serving.
How to thicken zuppa toscana soup on keto?
To thicken Zuppa Toscana soup on a keto diet, use xanthan gum, cream cheese, or a puree of low-carb vegetables like cauliflower, ensuring it remains low in carbohydrates.
How to reheat zuppa toscana soup
To reheat Zuppa Toscana soup, gently warm it on the stove over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until heated through. Avoid boiling to preserve the texture and flavors of the ingredients.
Can you freeze zuppa toscana soup?
Yes, you can freeze Zuppa Toscana soup. Cool it to room temperature, then store it in airtight containers or freezer bags. It’s best to consume it within 2-3 months for optimal quality. Thaw in the refrigerator before reheating.