Who said that you cannot eat tacos on keto? This one is a delicious recipe for making really delicious Mexican tacos. We are going to replace the regular flour used to make tortillas with crunchy cheese shells.
In this particular recipe, we use cheddar cheese to make the shells. For toppings, we cook ground beef and bacon then add cubed avocado, tomato, onion, lettuce and mayonnaise or sour cream (optional) on the taco.
You can make square cheese shells and serve the topping on the top like the photo below.
You can make crunchy taco cups or bend the shells to make it look exactly like the taco shells.
For more flavors, you can add fresh or pickled jalapeno slices and coriander leaves. Once you make the taco shells, you can also serve several different tacos by switching out the fillings (as long as you keep it low-carb).
You can also use chicken meat as topping, blend avocado with lime juice, sour cream and salt to make the sauce, and use Mexican cheese for the shell like in this photo (shared by itsBrittanybihh_).
Let’s Do It!
First, cook the meat: In a hot pan over medium high-heat, add oil in then saute onion and garlic for a minute. After that, add ground beef in and brown it for 5-7 minutes until cooked. Add salt and pepper as well as taco seasoning to taste. Stirring occasionally. Once cooked, remove and set aside.
In the meantime, we prepare the toppings: Fry or bake 1 slice of bacon until it’s crispy then cut it into small bits. Chop fresh onion, tomato, and avocado into small cubes as well.
Next, make the taco shells: In a non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, add cheese in. Once it’s melted and become golden at the bottom, flip it carefully and cook the top side until they’re brown.
Once the cheese is crispy and golden on both sides, remove and shape it into a taco shape while it’s still warm and bendable. You can use your hand to shape it, or any kitchen tool you have.
Finally, add the cooked ground beef fillings and the prepared toppings on. You can add mayonnaise, guacamole, sour cream or any low carb sauce you like. You can also add a few slices of jalapenos to make it spicy. Enjoy!
Save this recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
Low Carb Tacos with Cheese Shells
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 slice bacon (crispy, cooked)
- 1/3 cup avocado chopped
- 1/3 cup tomato cut in brunoise
- 1/4 cup onion cut in brunoise
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp taco seasoning (keto-friendly)
- 1 tbsp jalapenos slices, optional
- Mayonnaise for topping, optional
For cheese shells
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion and garlic, sprinkle with taco seasoning, salt and pepper. Add the meat then cook gently for 5 minutes, or until browned. Stirring occasionally.
- Spray 8-inch (20 cm) non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat and add bacon until it’s cooked and remove from heat. Chop it into small crispy bacon bits for topping.
- Cut onion, tomato, and avocado into small pieces for topping.
- Spray 8-inch (20 cm) non-stick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat and add the cheese, when the cheese is completely cooked at the bottom, you can now flip it carefully and fry the opposite side until they’re brown. You can also bake the cheese in the oven as well instead of frying it.
- Next, remove cheese from heat and put on a plate. If you want to make the taco shell shape, bend the cheese carefully while it’s still warm, soft and moldable. As the cheese cools down, the shell will become hardened.
- Place beef, avocado, tomato, purple onion and bacon pieces and sprinkle with chilli pepper and salt. You can add mayonnaise and sour cream as well.