An enchilada is basically a corn tortilla filled with some type of meat and covered with hot sauce. When it comes to making low-carb and gluten-free version of enchiladas, the corn tortilla can be replaced with zucchini slices or cheese shells.
We have made our keto-friendly version of chicken enchiladas using zucchini slices before, you can check our recipe here!
Today, we have made another keto-friendly version of enchilada using cheese shells as tortillas.
Cheese has always been a favourite food in the keto community. A combination of cheeses is a gourmand’s feast. Cheese is low in carbs and a great source of fat and protein. It contains high amounts of calcium, phosphorus, zinc, riboflavin, vitamins A and B12.
Our tortillas are made of cheddar and mozzarella cheese. Yes, they are entirely made of cheese! The filling is made of chicken with sauce.
We also top it up with sour cream and cilantro herb, which possesses good amounts of essential oils, antioxidants, and vitamins. It also gives our enchiladas a beautiful aroma.
Let’s Do It!
Mix cheddar and mozzarella in a bowl and divide them by 2 for 2 tortillas.
Fry cheese mixture for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese melts (you can also bake it in the oven too). Set aside and let it slightly cool. Meanwhile, enjoy the delicious smell of melted cheese.
To prepare the fillings, shred cooked chicken meat then season it with hot sauce, chili flakes, salt.
Spoon the chicken fillings into the cheese tortilla. Roll it up.
Pour some green enchilada sauce on top (or aside) with sour cream, and sprinkle a little bit of chopped cilantro. You can also make your own enchilada sauce using this recipe.
Serve them immediately and enjoy!
Keto Cheese Tortilla Enchiladas
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella shredded
- 1 cup chicken meat cooked, shredded
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp green enchilada sauce
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tsp cilantro chopped
- In a bowl, mix shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
- In another bowl, combine shredded cooked chicken, hot sauce, chili flakes and salt. Set aside.
- Heat a frying pan over a medium-high heat, add ¼ of the shredded cheese mixture and fry for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place seasoned chicken into cheese tortilla and roll the cheese like tortilla-style roll.
- Divide rolls between serving plates, pour over with green enchilada sauce, top with sour cream, sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve immediately.