Surprise yourself and your keto friends with a Mexican themed night by make these keto chicken quesadillas with low carb tortillas made from coconut flour.
Yes, instead of using corn tortillas to make these keto quesadillas, I put in the extra effort to make the low carb coconut flour tortillas.
To speed up the process of cooking, you can use store-bought low carb tortillas, but wouldn’t it be fun to create a dish from scratch and test your cooking abilities. Plus, you know what you put in the tortillas and make sure it’s 100% keto-friendly.
One of the reasons why I love keto diet so much is because it gives me the cooking opportunities I never experienced before. Give this keto quesadilla recipe a try and you’ll know why I say this!
Besides, since most of the Mexican food is fresh and easy to cook, making low carb tortillas is simple and fast just mix all of the ingredients and fry for 2-3 minutes.
Now to the history of making quesadillas – originally they were made just form cheese, but nowadays to diverse the taste it can contain various ingredients like meat or vegetables.
So since it’s a native dish – feel free to experiment on cheese and maybe mixing different kinds of it. Most keto friendly cheese you can try are cheddar, Gouda, mozzarella, etc.
Same with chicken breast – it goes the best with cheese adjusting in seasonings, but any meat such as beef, pork and lamb will be good as well. You can also add vegetables inside with cheese and chicken.
When Quesadillas are ready, cut them in triangular shapes with pizza knife this type of serving called – “sincronizada”.
How to Make Coconut Flour Tortillas
Add eggs, very fine coconut flour, heavy cream, xanthan gum (really helps with binding ingredients in gluten free recipes) and a little bit of salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well. Let the batter sit for a few minutes.
In a frying pan over a medium-high heat, add coconut oil or olive oil in and fry tortillas. The size of tortillas is up to your liking. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side. Repeat the process until you use all the batter.
How to Make Low Carb Chicken Quesadillas
In a frying pan over medium heat, place one tortilla on then sprinkle with cheddar cheese and place the lid on to melt the cheese. Remove the lid and add shredded cooked chicken breast and extra cheese on top then cover with another tortilla. You can sprinkle some taco seasoning in too.
Once the cheese is melted, remove the whole quesadilla from the pan and place in a serving plate.
Cut into 4 slices and sprinkle with freshly chopped parsley, green onion or coriander before serving (optional). If you have children, they’d love these low carb quesadillas, too!
Keto Quesadillas with Chicken
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 1 cup chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped (optional)
- In a bowl combine all tortillas’ ingredients, whisk well and and let the batter sit for 8-10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium-high heat and fry tortillas for 2-3 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Set aside to cool.
- Heat a clean frying pan over a medium heat, place one tortilla, sprinkle with cheese, put the lid on, wait until cheese begins to melt and add shredded chicken meat, more cheese and cover with another tortilla.
- When the cheese is melted, remove the quesadilla from a pan, cut in four slices and sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving (optional).