Is pizza a national dish? Maybe. Is pizza an international dish? Perhaps. Can pizza be a Keto diet dish? Sure!
The key to a good keto pizza is to get the dough right. It takes practice to knead the dough properly. We recommend that you practice as much as possible by making this recipe several times a week!
This recipe uses high-quality keto-approved ingredients, such as shredded Mozzarella cheese, cream cheese, eggs, and coconut flour.
You can also add oregano and flaxseed flour. In fact, we recommend it! Oregano helps give your pizza an authentic Italian flavor. It contains antibacterial properties that can help keep you healthy.
Research shows that oregano essential oil enhances the healing process of bacterial infections. It also helps prevent the development of antibiotic-resistance in certain strains (1).
The flaxseed flour provides an excellent source of omega 3 fatty acids and fiber. Both of these nutrients are effective for weight loss. Flaxseeds can also help support heart health, brain health, energy levels, and blood sugar control.
Not to mention, flaxseed pairs well with coconut flour, which further contributes to the dough’s anti-inflammatory ingredients. Coconut is high in fiber and healthy fats to keep you full and improve digestion.
Eggs help act as a binding agent for your dough ingredients, but they also protein a good source of vitamin D, protein, B vitamins, and healthy fats.
You can top your pizza dough with any keto-approved ingredients. We like to use fresh basil leaves, Salami, Bocconcini, pepperoni, marinara sauce and, of course, Mozzarella.
You may want to store an extra batch of dough in your fridge for easy preparation because you’ll want to make this recipe as often as possible!
Let’s Do It!
Start by preparing the dough. Melt the cream cheese and Mozzarella in a bowl in the microwave. Stir often to prevent burning. Once melted, add the spices and egg. Fold all ingredients together.
Add the coconut flour and flaxseed flour (optional) and knead until a dough forms. Do not over knead the dough or you may have to reheat it.
Line a pan with parchment paper and roll the dough out on it. Poke the dough with a fork to prevent bubbling. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Remove the dough from the oven and pop any bubbles.
Add your favorite toppings and bake another 5 minutes until the ingredients are combined and the cheese is melted. Serve hot.
Fat Head Pizza
Fathead Pizza Crust
- 10 leaves fresh basil chopped
- 7 slices salami
- 1 oz button mushrooms sliced
- 3 tbsp marinara sauce any low carb tomato sauce you choose
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp Parmesan grated
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Microwave the cream cheese and mozzarella in a bowl together for 50 seconds. Then stir the mixture occasionally so as not to burn it. Put back in the microwave and repeat until fully melted.
- Add the spices to the melted cheese. Lessen the amount of salt you add since the other ingredients already contain enough salt. Or skip the salt altogether.
- Crack the eggs into the cheese as well. Fold altogether with a spoon or a spatula to combine.
- Add in the coconut flour into the mixture. Knead to consistency. If you knead too much, the dough will harden and you may have to replace it in the microwave to warm it up.
- Prepare a pan or pizza pan layered with parchment paper, or you can use silicone mat. Cover the entire surface of the pan with the dough or form a dough circle on silicone mat. Spread it with your hands and push holes in the dough with a fork to prevent the formation of bubbles.
- Make sure the oven is preheated at 400°F before baking the pizza in it for 12-15 minutes until brown. Baking time depends upon the thickness and size of the dough.
- Observe the dough carefully since it bakes faster than regular crust. Burst out any bubbles that form.
- When the dough is cooked enough, spread the tomato sauce and your favorite toppings on the surface. Bake again for 5 minutes to cook the toppings.
- Transfer to a flat plate, sprinkle with Parmesan and chopped basil. Slice with a sharp knife or pizza cutter to make 8 triangles. Best enjoyed with loved ones.