What is better than pork? We think it’s pork cooked in the instant pot. But to make it even better, try adding vegetables.
When it comes to pairing pork with vegetables, we think that tomatoes are perfect. Specifically, tomatoes in the form of a stew are best.
Our Instant Pot Keto Mexican Pork Stew has all the flavors you love in a traditional Mexican stew but without the beans, refined sugar, or other starchy ingredients that may affect your low-carb diet.
Tomatoes are a good source of fiber and antioxidants, such as lycopene. Research shows that lycopene may be beneficial for fighting cancer (*).
Lycopene is also good for your heart. According to one study, lycopene may decrease the risk of cardiovascular disease (*).
Interestingly, the lycopene content in tomatoes is better absorbed in the body after you cook the tomatoes. Most of the time, the cooking process tends to kill off many heat sensitive antioxidant nutrients in other fruits and vegetables. This makes tomatoes truly unique!
We recommend using fresh tomatoes whenever possible. However, when you are picking out canned tomatoes, be sure to go with a brand that contains a low amount of sodium and preservatives.
This recipe is also unique because it contains two types of peppers: bell peppers and jalapeno peppers. Peppers are a good source of vitamin A, B6, C, K, capsaicin, carotene, lutein, potassium, and zeaxanthin.
You can add other low-carb veggies to this stew if you want to bump up the nutrition content. Try adding collard greens, kale, cabbage, zucchini, or even a small amount of peas!
You can cook many pork dishes using an Instant Pot. Instant Pot recipes are easy to follow. Sometimes, you just set and forget and the meal is ready for you.
Let’s Do It!
Put the pork shoulder (cut into pieces) inside the instant pot.
Add tomatoes, bell pepper, jalapeno, onion, and garlic. Pour in water and add the paprika and salt. Mix well.
Put the lid on and set the valve to “sealing.” Press the “pressure cook” button and cook on high for 35 minutes.
When done, allow the pressure to release naturally and then remove the lid.
Serve sprinkled with chopped cilantro and lime wedges. You can also sprinkle with cheddar cheese!
More Mexican Inspired Keto Recipes You Can Try:
- Mexican Shrimp Avocado Cauliflower Rice Bowl
- Mexican Tacos with Cheese Shells
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken Taquitos
- Cabbage Fish Taco Bowls
Keto Instant Pot Mexican Pork Stew
- Place pork cubes into the instant pot.
- Add in canned chopped tomatoes, bell pepper, jalapeno, onion, and garlic. Pour in water and add paprika and salt. Mix everything together until well combined.
- Put the lid on and turn the valve to “sealing.” Press “pressure cook” (manual) and cook on high pressure for 35 minutes.
- Once finished cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally and take the lid off.
- Divide the stew between serving plates, sprinkle with chopped cilantro, and serve with lime wedges.