Keto Cheesy Beef Taco Bake
Mexican foods can be ketogenic as long as you know how to change a few things to make it keto-friendly. The ketogenic lifestyle allows you to enjoy the finest cuisines in your kitchen.
Taco bake is a great way to enjoy a family dinner with some tacos with colorful vegetables and beef!
It takes a while to prepare but the result and satisfaction of making it by yourself will surely boost your confidence in cooking especially Mexican cuisine.
It is usually to be served in the same plates it was cooked in, where everybody takes a piece with their own hands, clumsy, delicious and vibrant – these are the terms that define any South American food.
By adjusting the amount of each ingredient for the crust, you may make it thicker (by adding more eggs and cheddar) or barely noticeable (less cheese more oil and cream).
Topping also can be changed, in springtime, since our bodies are craving for vitamins we lost in winter try adding more greens like spinach.
In summer when the season for zucchini, try making the crust by the same recipe as in ketogenic lasagna made from squash. Anything you wish as long as it’s organic and low carb and in your list of keto approved products.
Let's Ketofy It!
Prepare the crust: Beat the cream cheese and egg together until you have a very creamy and homogeneous mixture. Pour the heavy cream into the bowl and fold continuously. Add the seasonings as well.
Cover the base of the baking dish with shredded cheddar cheese.
Pour the egg mixture into the dish. Even out the surface with a flat spatula.
Take the baking dish to the 375 F oven. Let it bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Once done and cooked enough, let it cool down for 5 minutes or so.
In the meantime, prepare the topping: Brown the ground beef for a couple of minutes in a frying pan with olive oil, onion, salt, and pepper. Add taco seasoning, green pepper, and tomato paste to the ground beef. Stir everything together.
Note: Most store-bought taco seasonings are not keto friendly due to added sugar, artificial sweetener, starch, etc… This Primal Palate’s Taco Seasoning is one of the few keto-friendly options.
You can also make your taco seasoning from home.
Spread the topping evenly on top of the crust. Dust with plenty of cheddar cheese. You can add more as desired.
Rebake the dish for another 15-20 minutes at 350 F. You can observe that the cheese is melting and becoming bubbly.
Best served with more toppings of your choice. This delicious keto-friendy taco bake can be served with additional toppings such as jalapenos, shredded lettuce, guacamole, olives, low-carb salsa or sour cream.
Save this recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
Low Carb Taco Bake
Other extra toppings (optional)
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 medium Jalapeno (sliced, for spiciness)
- 1 oz mozzarella cheese (for extra cheesy texture)
Making the crust
- Crack the eggs in a bowl and beat together with the cream cheese until you obtain a smooth texture. Include the seasonings and heavy cream in the mix as well.
- Prep the baking dish you will use by greasing it well. Place the shredded cheddar cheese on the base of the dish. Spread the egg mixture all over the dish evenly.
- Take the dish to the oven and allow to bake for 25-30 minutes at 375°F. After baking, leave for 5 more minutes to cool.
Prepare the topping
- In a pan over medium high heat, fry the ground beef with olive oil until brown. You can add onion, salt and pepper for taste.
- Once the beef is cooked, strain the fat if you prefer a drier final dish. Pour the tomato sauce into the pan of beef. Throw in the seasonings and green bell pepper.
- Pour the topping on the surface of the crust. Sprinkle a generous amount of cheese as well. You can add some jalapeno slices for spiciness (optional). You can even add more cheese if you want it even more cheesy.
- Set the oven to 350°F. Leave in the oven for an additional 20 minutes. Wait until the cheese is nice and bubbly.
- Top with some sour cream (optional) and serve with your favorite low carb salad.