Butter chicken is one of our favorite ways to eat chicken. There are many different variations of this recipe and today we will show you another way to make this low carb and keto friendly.
This recipe has many spices which will give the dish an incredible flavor. Feel free to adjust the amount of spices according to your liking, especially the hot spices like chili and ginger. It is very simple to prepare and you will want to try it again and again.
You can use chicken breast or chicken thigh for this recipe. You can grill the chicken, pan fry it or simply cook it in the sauce if you just want a one-pan meal.
We use chicken maryland with skin and bone on. A chicken maryland is a cut of meat that contains both the thigh and the drumstick. It’s also called whole chicken leg. Two large pieces of chicken marryland would weigh approximately 800g or 7oz. Remember, the size and type of chicken meat chosen for this recipe will depend on your choice and your macros.
Normally people will eat the whole chicken thigh but today we decide to try something different.
After the chicken is cooked, we remove the bone and tear it into small pieces. We find that shredded chicken will absorb more flavours from the sauce and taste better. If you don’t want the extra effort, feel free to skip this step. Simply just serve the whole chicken thigh with butter sauce.
To thicken the sauce and make it creamy, we use butter and heavy cream. You can use coconut cream instead of heavy cream too.
Save this recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
Keto Shredded Butter Chicken
Ingredients For The Chicken
Cooking Chicken Thighs
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl (excluding the olive oil) and coat the thighs with the mixed seasonings.
- Pour the olive oil in a large bottom pan. Leave the chicken in the heated pan until golden brown on all sides and cooked through. Alternatively, bake or grill the chicken if desired. When done, transfer to a plate and reserve.
Making the sauce
- Melt a tablespoon of butter on a hot pan. Sauté the tomatoes, garlic, and red onion with the ginger, chili, cumin seeds, and turmeric for 5 minutes. Let the veggies soften. Pour the water and heavy cream into the pan. Add the remaining butter. Let it boil before removing from the heat.
- Blend the sauce in a blender to produce a smooth, creamy paste.
- Reheat the sauce in the pan. Gently drop the chicken in the sauce and season with more salt and pepper. Stir occasionally so as not to burn the bottom part. Leave to boil. Set the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes till the sauce thickens.
- Remove from the heat and serve. If desired, do the extra step below.
- To serve as shredded rather than whole chicken leg, take out the chicken from the sauce and place on a plate or chopping board. Scrape the meat off the bones using your hands or a fork.
- Transfer the chicken to a serving plate. Coat with the sauce and top with cinnamon and chopped coriander leaves. Serve with cauliflower rice or salad as a side.