Traditional lasagna calls for pasta noodles that are high in carbs and wheat, which contributes to inflammation in some people.
Our recipe takes a low-carb approach to a classic starchy dish. We use zucchini in place of pasta. When combined with the right ingredients, you won’t even miss the carbs!
Our keto mini lasagna bowls are the perfect way to serve a fun dish. They are also properly portioned for those seeking to cut back on calories.
For an authentic Italian flavor, we use ricotta cheese, minced garlic, and Italian seasoning. Combined, these ingredients are high in amino acids, manganese, and vitamins that help facilitate muscle recovery after a workout.
The zucchini slices are rich in several vitamins, minerals, and other beneficial plant compounds. Research shows that may even help fight against tumor cells (1). We like using it in pasta recipes because it takes on the flavor of just about anything you cook it with.
Zucchini contains a high water content. This means you will need to be careful not to overcook it or else you’ll be left with soggy noodles. In this recipe, you will need to salt the zucchini slices and let them sit to reduce excess moisture.
You will want to use high-quality ground beef for this recipe to enhance the flavor. Look for a brand that comes from grass-finished and pasture-raised sources if possible. It should be free from antibiotics and hormones.
The marinara sauce is an excellent source of potassium, vitamin C, lycopene, and vitamin A. Research shows that lycopene may help protect heart health (2). Look for a brand that does not contain added sugars.
You can even make these bowls ahead of time and serve as appetizers before dinner!
Let’s Do It!
Mix ricotta cheese, minced garlic, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
Slice the zucchini lengthwise into strips. Coat with salt and let sit for 10 minutes to release the moisture. Then blot dry with a paper towel.
Cook the ground beef, dried parsley, onion powder, and red pepper flakes in a stovetop pan over medium heat until the beef is cooked through.
Prepare the marinara sauce and put all ingredients in bowls.
Layer a bed of meat into the bottom of a bowl. Add a layer of ricotta cheese mixture and then a zucchini slice. Repeat this process until all ingredients are used.
Pour the marinara sauce on top and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake for 20 minutes at 375F or until golden brown. Serve hot!
Have you also tried these similar recipes?
- Beef and Eggplant Lasagna
- Lasagna Cabbage Rolls with Beef
- Lasagna Stuffed Peppers with Ground Beef and Cheese
- Noodle-less Zucchini, Mushroom and Beef Lasagna
- Baked Eggplant Manicotti – Creamy and Cheesy Low Carb Recipe
Keto Mini Lasagna Bowls
- ½ lb ground beef
- ½ tsp parsley dried
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 zucchini medium, thinly sliced
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp marinara sauce
- ½ cup mozzarella shredded
- 2 tsp Parmesan grated (for garnish optional)
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped (for garnish optional)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a bowl, combine ricotta with minced garlic, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Slice zucchini into thin round slices using a mandoline slicer or sharp knife. Arrange zucchini slices on a tray or baking sheet, sprinkle with salt and let them rest for 10 minutes to release the moisture. Blot with a towel.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan. Add ground beef, dried parsley, onion powder, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 5-7 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Prepare oven safe ramekins or bowls. Layer a bed of meat on the base of each ramekin. Add a ricotta layer and arrange the zucchini slices on top. Continue with the lasagna layers until the rest of the ingredients are all used up.
- Pour a bit of marinara sauce over top and sprinkle with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese turns golden and melted.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan and chopped parsley.