What do you expect from lasagna? You expect taste, nutrition, and delicacy. Unfortunately, you also expect unwanted carbs, which can lead to digestive upset, brain fog, and more.
You can skip the carbs and enjoy the taste of traditional lasagna if you cook Keto Zucchini Lasagna. Our recipe uses zucchini “pasta” strips in place of traditional gluten-laden pasta made with white or wheat flour.
Zucchini is low-in carbs and high in nutrition. It’s an excellent source of vitamin C. It also provides B vitamins, fiber, water, fiber, antioxidants, and several minerals.
Because zucchini is a rich source of B-vitamins, especially folate, riboflavin, and B6, it can help to boost energy production in the body. When cooked, you will hardly find a more delicate superfood.
If you love zucchini, check our list of the best keto zucchini recipes!
You can use ground turkey or chicken for this recipe, but we recommend using beef. This is because beef is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc.
It is also high in iron, riboflavin, vitamin B6 and phosphorus, magnesium, potassium and vitamin D. Go with a brand of beef that is organic and grass-finished for the most nutrition.
The cheese and eggs provide a good amount of protein, which has numerous health benefits.
Go with organic brands of dairy and eggs. We like to recommend buying organic, pasture-raised eggs as they tend to be higher in certain nutrients.
This recipe requires you to cook the beef ahead of time. Then you’ll need to layer the ingredients like you would a normal lasagne dish!
Let’s Do It!
To start, wash the zucchini and trim off the tips. Cut lengthwise into strips. Arrange the zucchini on a baking tray and cover with salt. Allow to rest for 10 minutes. Blot the excess water with a paper towel.
Cook the mushrooms, onion, and garlic in butter in a stovetop pan.
Mix in the tomatoes, beef, salt and pepper. Cook until beef is browned and the sauce reaches your desired consistency.
In a separate bowl, combine heavy cream, parmesan cheese, and egg.
In a baking tray, layer the meat, arrange the zucchini, pour the egg and cheese mixture on top, and continue until all ingredients are used.
Sprinkle cheese on top and bake for 20 to 30 minutes.
You’ll love these similar recipes:
Keto Zucchini Lasagna
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 zucchini medium size, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1 tomato medium size, chopped
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 egg large
- 2 oz Parmesan cheese grated
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese shredded
- thyme leaves optional
- oregano leaves optional
- basil leaves optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- After washing the zucchini, chop off both tips and cut lengthwise into thin strips. Arrange zucchini strips on a tray or baking sheet. Do this in batches. Sprinkle with salt and let them rest for 10 minutes to release the moisture. Then blot with a towel.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan set over medium heat.
- Sauté the mushrooms with the onion and garlic in the pan for a minute. Salt and pepper just to taste.
- Mix in the tomato and beef and allow to cook for another 3-5 minutes. Simmer for 5 more minutes, enough to thicken the sauce to your liking. Set aside.
- Crack the egg in a medium bowl. Add the Parmesan cheese and heavy cream, and beat together.
- Prepare a baking dish for the lasagna. Layer a bed of meat on the base of the dish, arrange the zucchini slices on top of the meat, and finally pour the egg and cheese mix on the surface. Continue with the remaining lasagna layers until the rest of the ingredients are all used up.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top.
- Set the oven to 340°F and bake the dish inside. Leave for about 20-30 minutes until the cheese turns golden and melted.
- Allow to cool for another 3 minutes then serve.
- Serve sprinkled with chopped basil and your favorite veggies (optional).