Close your eyes and picture a bagel. Did you envision something starchy, made with bread and topped with cream cheese? That’s what most of us think of when we consider a bagel.
We’re here to change your perception of the bagel! Specifically, we’re here to introduce you to a low-carb bagel made with beef that you can use many different ways.
The problem with traditional bagels is that they spike your blood sugar levels and don’t fill you up. These keto beef bagels will leave you feeling satisfied without affecting your insulin levels. This means you won’t be hungry again in an hour, which means you’ll eat fewer calories throughout the day.
This recipe calls for minced beef. We recommend using grass-fed or grass-finished beef because it contains higher levels of some nutrients, including conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), trans vaccenic acid (a precursor to CLA), and omega 3 fatty acids (1).
Grass-fed products also contain higher levels of saturated fatty acids that do not affect cholesterol and less saturated fatty acids that raise cholesterol. Finally, grass-fed diets tend to have more of the antioxidants glutathione and superoxide dismutase as well as precursors for vitamins A and E in them (2).
To flavor the bagels and add vitamins and minerals, we add some onion, garlic powder, fresh parsley, and salt and pepper. Onions are a prebiotic fiber, which means that they “feed” the good bacteria in your gut. This can lead to better digestion and improve immunity.
For the filling, you’ll need lettuce, tomatoes, and Cheddar cheese. Lettuce provides a good source of vitamins A and C, folic acid, iron, calcium, and potassium while tomatoes are high in vitamin C and other antioxidants. Cheddar cheese has calcium and protein.
This recipe is so versatile that you can use it for a creative breakfast or top your burger with it instead of a traditional beef patty. There’s no wrong way to enjoy them!
Let’s Do It!
Add all the ingredients for the bagel to a bowl and mix until combined. Divide the mixture into two parts and form patties.
Use a shot glass to cut out the middle. Form a bagel with each patty.
Bake the bagels on a baking tray for 20 to 25 minutes at 400 degrees. Then let sit for five minutes.
Cut each bagel in half lengthwise and spread each half with mayo. Add a lettuce leaf, cheese, and tomato slices on the bottom of each bagel.
Season with salt and pepper, add the top half, and enjoy!
More recipes you can try:
Keto Beef Bagel Sandwich
- ½ lb Ground beef minced
- 1 tbsp onion finely chopped
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp parsley fresh, finely chopped
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 slices cheddar
- 2 lettuce leaves
- 4 slices tomato
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place all ingredients for the meatballs in a bowl and mix until well combined. Divide meat mixture into two parts and mold them to form two patties. With a shot glass, cut out the middle of each pattie to form the bagel shape.
- Arrange bagels onto a baking tray and bake for 20-25 minutes.
- When cooked, let sit for 5 minutes. Cut each bagel in half lengthwise, just like a regular bagel, and spread each half with mayo.
- Place a lettuce leaf, cheese and tomato slices on each bottom part of the bagel, and season with salt and pepper.
- Close with the bagel tops and serve!