Keto Beef and Eggplant Lasagna
Lasagna is definitely known as one of the most famous culinary specialties of tradition in Italia. It is a favorite dish consumed worldwide. Its origin is Greek but was adopted by the Romans during the expansion. It is a delicious dish to share with the family, and ideal for the cuisine of Sundays.
Our keto version is prepared with ground beef, cheese, and grilled eggplant as the main ingredients.
If you don’t like eggplant, you can use zucchini instead. The process is the same.
Let's Ketofy It!
Preheat oven to 375F and get your ingredients ready.
Add a little bit of cooking oil in a large saucepan and fry the bacon until golden over medium-high heat. You don’t need a lot of oil because the bacon will release a lot of fat and cook itself. Remove bacon and let it cool then chop into small pieces and set aside.
In the same pan using the existing bacon fat, add onion and garlic in and fry until softened.
Add ground beef in and stir gently until cooked. Add salt, oregano and black pepper to taste.
Pour the marinara sauce in, and let it simmer until the liquid volume reduced by about a third.
In the meantime, peel the eggplant and slice into 1/4 of an inch thick, lengthwise. Place eggplant in a non-stick hot pan and grill both sides. This gives a firmer consistency to lasagna and make it eggplant taste and smell really good.
Now that all of your ingredients are ready, grab a baking dish and begin to put lasagna layers. Put a layer of eggplant, then a layer of cooked meat and bacon and a layer of cheddar cheese. Repeat this procedure until all ingredients are used.
Top it all off with Parmesan cheese and bake it until the cheese is melted and golden, about 20-30 minutes.
You can serve this lasagna accompanied by a lettuce salad.
Be sure to save this recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
Keto Eggplant Lasagna
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add a little bit of oil in to fry the bacon. Once the bacon turns golden and crispy, remove and chop into small bite-size and set aside.
- Use the same saucepan with the bacon fat, toss in garlic and onion. Continue frying until they soften.
- Gently throw the ground beef into the pan. Season with salt, pepper, and oregano. Stir with a spoon and allow it cook till golden.
- Add the marinara sauce in and bring to a boil then simmer until the volume decreases by about a third.
- Meanwhile, peel off the eggplant skin. Cut the eggplant lengthwise into ¼ inch thin slices. Grill on a non-stick preheated pan and make sure both sides are cooked. This is an optional step just to give the lasagna a firmer consistency and intensify the amazing smell of grilled eggplant.
- Prepare a baking dish to layer your lasagne. Place a layer of eggplant as the base, then spread the cooked beef and bacon on top of the eggplant then top with cheese. Repeat the layers until you fill the whole dish.
- Spread more Parmesan cheese on the final layer. Bake in the oven for about 20-30 minutes until the cheese melts and the surface produces nice golden bubbles.
- Remove from oven and allow cooling for about 5 minutes. Slice out a piece and enjoy with some green veggies.