Let’s talk about cauliflower rice. Is it really “rice” or just a low-carb, keto-friendly substitute for traditional rice?
It may be a hotly debated issue but it is undoubtedly cauliflower, and like most vegetables, cauliflower is supremely healthy. It’s also very versatile and we have made many keto dishes with it.
This Low carb Herb Chicken with Lemon Cauliflower Rice recipe is inspired by Fresh n’ Lean’s Keto Meal Delivery Service. They offer many keto meals delivered to your door and this recipe is adapted from one of the dishes on their menu.
Research shows that cauliflower and other cruciferous vegetables may help protect against cancer (1). Specifically, cauliflower is a good source of glucosinolates, which may also help protect against cardiovascular disease (2).
Cauliflower is one of the healthiest cruciferous vegetables you can get as it’s loaded with nutrients including fiber, vitamins C, K and B6, and potassium. The riced cauliflower is easy and fast to make. However, you can buy pre-packaged cauliflower rice at the store if you’re short on time. It’s best combined with low-calorie meat and cheese, in our opinion.
Chicken is a tried-and-true lean protein source. It also offers 6% of your daily value of iron, which helps carry oxygen throughout your body and supports immune system function.
Garlic and lemon are great flavor additions, but they are also a powerful health-boosting addition to this recipe. Citrus fruits, such as lemon, are excellent sources of vitamin C, which has been shown to help support healthy immune function.
Lemons also contain antioxidants called polyphenols that have anti-aging effects (3). This is why many people use lemon as a skin-care regimen.
Garlic contains a compound called allicin that acts as a potent antioxidant to help reduce free radical damage (4). Research shows that garlic helps boost immunity by stimulating certain cells, such as natural killer cells, macrophages, and lymphocytes (5). This can help reduce the risk of several diseases, including obesity, heart disease, metabolic syndrome, gastric ulcers, and cancer (6).
Enjoy this recipe as your new favorite dinner! You can also make extras and bring some to work with you the next day.
If you love chicken rice dishes, try these keto riced cauliflower recipes for more ideas!
How to Make Low Carb Herb Lemon Chicken and Rice
Add the chicken to a bowl and marinate with olive oil, dried herbs, sea salt, and pepper for 15 minutes.
Fry the chicken in olive oil in a stovetop pan for 6 to 8 minutes on each side until crispy.
Remove chicken from the pan and allow it to cool before slicing.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a stovetop pan and cook the garlic for about 30 seconds before adding the cauliflower rice, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and lemon zest.
Cook for up to 10 minutes while stirring occasionally until the rice is golden brown.
Serve the rice with the chicken.
More keto recipes with chicken and cauliflower you can try:
- General Tso’s Chicken with Cauliflower Rice
- Chicken Cauliflower Fried Rice
- Tandoori Chicken with Cauliflower Rice
- Chicken Tikka Masala with Cauliflower Rice
Keto Herb Chicken with Lemon Cauliflower Rice
For cauliflower rice:
- 1 cup cauliflower rice
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tbsp Parmesan grated (for serving, optional)
- Place chicken breast into a bowl. Add olive oil, dried herbs, and season with salt and pepper. Mix well and allow to marinate for 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Fry marinated chicken 6-8 minutes per side or until crispy, golden, and cooked through.
- Place fried chicken onto a plate, cover with foil and let rest for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cutting board and slice.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for 20-30 seconds. Add cauliflower rice, lemon zest, red pepper flakes, lemon juice, pinch of salt, pepper and stir well.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for approximately 7-10 minutes, or until the rice is hot and just turning golden.
- Remove the rice from the heat, stir in chopped parsley, season with more salt and pepper if needed.
- Transfer cauliflower rice into a serving plate. Top with chicken breast and sprinkle with grated Parmesan (if using).