This Beef & Green Pepper Stir Fry is a Chinese-style super easy and quick meal that tastes even better than a takeout dish. We modified a classic version of the recipe slightly to make it keto-friendly. Nevertheless, the dish still preserves its classic taste without all the carbs and calories.
This Beef & Green Pepper Stir Fry is a combination of sauteed green bell pepper, onion, browned steak, and a savoury sauce. It’s similar to Chinese Pepper Steak dish.
To reduce the amount of carbs, we swapped soy sauce, which is normally used in the classic Chinese recipe, for coconut aminos. Coconut aminos is a popular soy sauce substitute made from fermented coconut palm sap, so it’s totally soy and gluten-free.
Coconut aminos also has a low glycemic index and is loaded with minerals, vitamin C, B and vitamins. It’s also high in amino acids.
Amino acids play a vital role in muscle repair, brain and nervous system function, and contribute to physical energy levels. We also use xanthan gum instead of cornstarch to thicken the sauce while keeping the ingredients low-carb and keto-friendly.
The recipe starts by slicing the steak. You need to get a thinly sliced steak. To make this process easier, we recommend you put the steak in the freezer for 20-30 minutes before slicing. Cold meat tends to be easier to cut!
Traditional Chinese food is very tasty, but some dishes include ingredients that aren’t keto-friendly. We’ve “ketofied” this classic stir fry recipe to make sure it fits perfectly into your low-carb diet. It features low-carb veggies, meat, and a savoury sauce made from coconut aminos.
You don’t need much time to prepare this delicious stir fry. Start by frying the beef until it’s cooked all the way through. Prepare the sauce by combining all ingredients and add to the pan. After that, remove the meat from the pan and cook the low-carb veggies then return the meat to the pan and let it cook with the sauce for several minutes and serve.
Let’s Do It!
First, season sliced beef with coriander powder, salt and pepper.
Heat a tablespoon of olive oil over medium-high heat and fry the ginger and garlic for 30 seconds. Add beef slices and stir-fry for two to three minutes until browned. Set aside.
Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and peppers and fry for one to two minutes.
Return the meat to the pan and cook one minute more.
To prepare the sauce, you need to mix the xanthan gum, water and coconut aminos.
Add this mixture to the frying pan and continue to cook, stirring constantly until thickens and remove from the heat. That’s it! Divide between plates and serve sprinkled with red pepper flakes if you like.
More Keto Stir-fry Ideas:
- Chicken and Vegetables Stir Fry
- Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry
- Beef and Asparagus Stir-Fry with Cauliflower Rice
- Cashew Chicken Stir-fry
Keto Beef and Green Pepper Stir Fry
- 1/2 lb flank steak or sirloin steak, thinly sliced against the grain
- 1 green bell pepper cut into chunks
- ½ onion medium, cut into chunks
- ½ tsp xanthan gum
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp ginger fresh, grated
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- Season sliced beef with coriander powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in the frying pan over medium-high heat, add ginger and garlic and fry for 30 seconds, then stir-fry beef for 2-3 minutes, until browned. Set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan, add onion and pepper and fry for 1-2 minutes. Return the meat to the pan and cook for 1 more minute.
- In a bowl combine xanthan gum, water and coconut aminos. Add this mixture to the frying pan. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until thickens and remove from the heat.
- Serve sprinkled with red pepper flakes (optional).