Pepper steak is a stir-fried Chinese American dish consisting of sliced beef steak, which is cooked with chopped green or red pepper and other seasonings.
Beef is the most commonly eaten meat in the world. It contains an incredible amount of minerals, quality protein, and no carbohydrates. If you want to use chicken for this recipe, you’re welcome to.
If you’re not the type to eat beef because it tastes too dry, then you’ll be happy to know that the sauce prepared with this dish helps keep the meat tender and flavorful.
Additionally, we use keto-friendly ingredients to keep the sauce low-carb, such as coconut aminos and xanthan gum.
Traditional sauces may contain soy sauce, wheat, added sugars, cornstarch, or other ingredients that are not strict keto.
Pepper steak is perfect for the role of the main course, as well as for dinner. It is perfect to be served with green lettuce, vegetable salad or cauliflower rice.
There are 2 ways we would make this dish:
#1. The quick and “crunchy” way
Basically, you would:
- Saute beef first then remove it from the pan/wok (don’t overcook it). Set aside.
- Stir-fry the veggies with oil in the same pan (do not overcook).
- Transfer the cooked beef back in and add the sauce mixture (water, xanthan gum, coconut aminos or soy sauce). Stir fry for a few more minutes until the sauce is thickened and serve.
This way is faster and you will get a delicious dish in less than 15 minutes. The vegetables will still be crunchy because we try to stir-fry it quickly over high heat without overcooking it.
#2. The longer way
This is what we will show you below. After sauteing the veggies, we will add extra beef broth in this dish and simmer it for 10 extra minutes.
The veggies will definitely be soft in this recipe but the final result will be more flavorful. And it’s super tasty to serve with cauliflower rice! If you don’t like your veggies to be soft, stick to method #1 above.
Let’s Do It!
Cut beef into thin slices then brown it with olive oil in a hot pan over medium-high heat. Season with salt and pepper.
Add your low-carb veggies slices in and saute for 5 minutes. (Note: you can just add thickening sauce after this step and stir for 1-2 minutes and serve if you just want a quick dinner!)
Add beef broth in and cook cover with a lid for 10 minutes to simmer.
In the meantime, prepare the sauce by mixing xanthan gum with water and coconut aminos (or soy sauce if not strict keto).
Pour this sauce to the beef and stir constantly until it’s thickened.
Serve with cauliflower rice and sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds or red pepper flakes (optional).
Save this recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
Keto Pepper Steak
- 1/2 lb round beef sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos (or soy sauce if not strict keto)
- 1 tsp xanthan gum to thicken sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 onion sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper sliced
- 2/3 cup beef broth
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- Slice beef into small thin slices.
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium-high heat and add beef bites in. Season with salt and pepper and brown the beef slightly.
- Add red and green peppers and sliced onion. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Pour in beef broth, lower the heat, cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine xanthan gum, water and coconut aminos. Add this mixture to the skillet. Continue to cook, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens. Remove from the heat.
- Serve with cauliflower rice and sprinkle with red pepper flakes (optional).