You’re probably thinking, “I can’t eat muffins on keto!” But we have three words for you: Strawberry Ricotta Muffins.
These babies are great as a dessert after your lunch or dinner. You can also enjoy them first thing in the morning for breakfast in place of your everyday omelette.
The muffins are an unusual treat. Why unusual, you ask? They don’t contain flour of any kind! The key component is ricotta cheese.
There are different ways to use ricotta and it can work well as an addition to almost any dish. Ricotta provides a large amount of fat and protein, and a small amount of carbohydrate, which makes it a perfect food to enjoy on your keto diet.
Ricotta contains a decent amount of vitamin A and B2. It’s also is an excellent source of calcium, selenium, and phosphorus.
Ricotta is a good source of protein, which is important for building and maintaining muscle and manufacturing enzymes and hormones. Protein also plays a role in keeping bones, skin, hair, and nails healthy.
The combination of flavors in this dish is unique, too. Lemon zest (reduces “bad” cholesterol, boosts the immune system, and detoxifies the blood) with fresh sliced strawberries (contains vitamin C and antioxidants, and regulates blood sugar levels) will make every mouth water.
For this recipe, you will need pure vanilla extract, heavy cream and erythritol. You can omit the erythritol if you want because this recipe is already sweet enough, thanks to the strawberries and cheese.
To make, blend all the ingredients, divide between cups and cook until slightly golden. Garnish with sliced strawberries and serve!
Keep in mind that if you’re strict keto, you’ll want to take it easy on the strawberries as eating too much fruit, even if they are low-carb, can still hit your daily carb limits on a keto diet.
Let’s Ketofy It!
This recipe makes six muffins, which is the perfect amount to get you through the week if you need an on-the-go breakfast.
To make, you’ll want to combine all ingredients by using a high speed blender to make sure the batter doesn’t have any lumps in it.
After that, distribute the batter evenly in muffin tins.
Then bake in the oven until they are golden brown. You can garnish with sliced strawberries, or serve as is.
We recommend garnishing with raw cacao powder for chocolate finish. You can also add a bit of raw cacao powder to the mixture if you want to turn these into a true dessert muffin!
- Keto Blueberry Muffins with Almond Meal and Flaxseed
- Classic Plain Keto Muffins
- Avocado Breakfast Muffins
Keto Strawberry Ricotta Muffins
- 1 lb ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 cup strawberries sliced + 3 strawberries (for garnish, optional)
- 1 tbsp erythritol
- 6 mint leaves for garnish, optional
- ½ tsp dark chocolate sugar free, crushed for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a 6-cup muffin tin with parchment cupcake liners.
- In a food processor blend all ingredients until smooth.
- Divide the mixture between muffin cups. Cups should be 3/4 full.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, slice 6 strawberries (optional).
- Remove muffins from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with sliced strawberries, mint leaves and serve!