If you’ve ever attended a party, then you’ve probably noticed that pigs in a blanket are a staple appetizer. They are the perfect finger foods. Plus, they’re super fun to make and dip in your favorite sauce!
The problem with most hot dogs and pigs in a blanket is the bun and starchy dough that is wrapped around the hot dogs. Many hot dogs or mini sausages are also made with processed meat that contains added sugars and preservatives.
Our low-carb mini hot dogs use almond flour, cream cheese, and Mozzarella as the base for the dough. The crust will be just as flaky and delicious as the traditional hotdogs but without the carbs!
Almond flour is an excellent low-carb, gluten-free flour to bake with. It contains heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids, fiber, and protein, which help fuel your cells and keep you full.
Almond flour is much easier to digest for most people than traditional flour. This means you will be less likely to develop brain fog or bloating after eating our low-carb mini hot dogs.
Beef is an excellent source of several vitamins and minerals, including vitamin B12, iron, zinc, selenium, phosphorus, and vitamin B6. It’s also an excellent source of amino acids, which help support lean muscle mass and repair damaged tissues.
It’s hard to find a high-quality brand of mini hot dogs, but we recommend making the effort if possible! Look for a brand of beef that comes from grass-fed or grass-finished beef. It should also be free from antibiotics, hormones, added sugars, nitrates, and other harmful preservatives.
If you can’t find mini hot dogs, then you might have better luck using high-quality regular-sized hot dogs and cutting them into small pieces.
For the filling, you’ll need hot sauce, Parmesan cheese, and sesame seeds. Look for a brand of hot sauce that does not contain added sugars to keep the carbs down.
Serve these as a fun appetizer or lunch for small fingers! It’s also a perfect party snack.
Let’s Do It!
If using full-size hot dogs, cut them into three pieces each. You won’t need to do this if you’re using mini dogs.
Add the cream cheese and Mozzarella in a bowl and microwave for 50 seconds. Remove, stir so that it doesn’t burn, and microwave again until melted.
Add the spices and almond flour to the cream cheese mixture. Knead until a dough forms.
Divide the dough into nine parts and press each one into an oval shape.
Spread each oval dough with hot sauce. Place a frank on top and wrap it up.
Arrange the hot dogs on a baking tray, lined with parchment paper, sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake for 20 minutes at 350 degrees.
Let rest for 10 minutes and then serve hot with your favorite low-carb dipping sauce!
More low-carb hot dog and sausages recipes:
- Cheese Stuffed Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs
- Sausage, Egg and Cheddar Breakfast Skillet
- Crockpot Sausages and Peppers
- Creamy Green Cabbage with Sausage
Keto Pigs In A Blanket
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- 3 franks high-quality
- 2 tsp Parmesan grated
- 2 tsp sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Cut each sausage into 3 pieces and set aside.
- Microwave the cream cheese and Mozzarella in a bowl together for 50 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir the mixture occasionally so as not to burn it. Put back in the microwave and repeat until fully melted.
- Add in the almond flour and the spices into the mixture. Knead to consistency.
- Divide the dough into 9 equal parts and press each part to form an oval shape.
- Spread ovals with hot sauce, place a piece of frank on top and wrap the dough. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Arrange hot dogs on a baking tray lined with parchment paper or use a silicone mat. Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until golden. Baking time depends upon the thickness and size of the dough.
- Allow them to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve with your favorite sauce!