Cabbage is one of the healthiest foods on the planet. It’s packaged with powerful antioxidants that fight free radical damage and loads of vitamin C. However, most people use green cabbage in their dishes and they tend to overlook the red or purple varieties.
While there is nothing wrong with cooking with green cabbage, we recommend that you give purple cabbage a try! It contains different nutrients than its green counterpart, including different flavonoids and carotenoids. Not to mention, it looks amazing in almost any dish!
Our Low Carb Chicken Cabbage Cups use purple cabbage as a shell. The deep, vibrant purple color is due to antioxidant anthocyanins. Research shows that there are 36 different types of anthocyanins in cabbage (1).
Anthocyanins have been shown to prevent obesity, diabetes, heart disease, neurological diseases, and cancer (2, 3). Red cabbage also helps protect the liver, due to its incredible myriad of antioxidant properties (4).
If you don’t have cabbage in your kitchen, you can use other keto-friendly vegetables such as lettuce.
This recipe also calls for a blend of spices that contribute to the inflammation-lowering properties of this meal, including garlic, ginger, paprika, chilli powder, and cilantro. Research shows that spices help protect against a number of diseases, even though they are only used in small amounts (5).
The antioxidants in cabbage are better absorbed in the body when you eat them with dietary fat. This is where the cheese and chicken come in handy! Not only are they delicious when combined, but they are also nutritionally-balanced.
The onions provide an excellent source of prebiotics, which is the “fuel” that the good bacteria in your gut thrive on. Mushrooms are a good source of protein and are high in B vitamins and selenium, which is a mineral with antioxidant properties (6).
Enjoy these for a light lunch, dinner, or even a snack! Don’t forget to check other healthy chicken dishes on our website.
Let’s Do It!
Wash the cabbage leaves. Pat dry. Melt the butter in a stovetop pan and cook the onions and mushrooms for about 5 minutes.
Add the ginger and garlic to the pan. Cook for about 30 seconds. Then add the chicken, paprika, chilli powder, and lemon juice. Add salt and pepper.
Mix all ingredients and cook in the pan for another 2 to 3 minutes. Set aside.
Lay a cabbage leaf flat and spoon the chicken mixture inside. Top with shredded gouda.
Serve drizzled with mayo and cilantro.
More Low-Carb Cabbage Recipes You Can Try:
Keto Chicken Cabbage Cups
- 4 cabbage leaves purple, red or white
- 10 oz chicken meat shredded, cooked
- 3 button mushrooms sliced
- 1 tbsp onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp ginger fresh, minced
- ½ tsp paprika
- ⅛ tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- ¼ cup Gouda shredded
- 1 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp butter
- ¼ cup mayo homemade
- salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and dry the cabbage leaves.
- Melt butter in a frying pan. Add onions and sliced mushrooms. Cook 5 minutes or until lightly golden.
- To the same pan, add minced garlic and ginger. Cook for 30 seconds. Add shredded chicken meat, paprika, chilli powder, and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well and cook on low for an additional 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into each cabbage leaf and top with shredded gouda.
- Arrange stuffed cabbage cups on a plate, drizzle with mayo, sprinkle with chopped cilantro and enjoy!