This recipe has an excellent balance between protein (the chicken breast), fat (the olive oil used for marinating the chicken and the ghee used for cooking) and fiber, vitamins, and potassium (in the vegetables).
For best results, we’d recommend marinating, however, if you are in a hurry, you can skip this step and still have a very satisfying and tasty dish.
You can substitute the eggplant and the zucchini with other low-carb vegetables, for example broccoli, green beans, green pepper, Brussels sprouts, tomatoes, etc. – there are plenty of different combinations that you can experiment with.
If you do that, you’d need to adjust the cooking time for the different vegetables, as some of them take much less time to cook – for example, depending on how you like them, the tomatoes would probably need to be added last.
Instead of ghee you can use coconut oil or another cooking oil that you enjoy. If you’d like to up the fat content, you can add more than 1 tbsp. of oil when cooking.
Let’s Ketofy It!
Sauté the onion and garlic in ghee for a few minutes. Add chicken in and cook for around 3 minutes.
Add eggplant in and stir for another minute then add sliced mushrooms and zucchini. Cook for around 5 minutes and stir occasionally.
Finally, add spinach into the mix and leave to cook for 3-4 more minutes. Let the leaves wilt before removing from the heat. Transfer to a bowl and serve.
- Keto Thai Chicken Stir-fry with Cashew Nuts
- Keto Chicken and Vegetables Stir Fry
- Keto General Tso’s Chicken with Cauliflower Rice
Chicken Breast with Eggplant, Zucchini and Spinach
- 400 g chicken breast skinless
- 1 zucchini medium, diced, unpeeled
- ½ eggplant medium, diced, unpeeled
- 2 cups spinach cut in pieces
- 150 g mushrooms sliced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/3 in onion medium, chopped
- 1 tbsp ghee
- Dice the chicken and season with olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Place in a bag or plastic box along with the marinade and leave in the fridge for 3 hours (optional).
- Heat a tablespoon of ghee in a large pan. Sauté the minced garlic and onion in the oil for 1-2 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the chicken in and cook for 3 minutes on medium-high heat.
- Add eggplant, mushroom and zucchini in. Cook for another 5 minutes. Stir regularly.
- Put the spinach in and leave for 3 minutes more. Add extra salt if needed. When the leaves wilt, remove from the heat. Serve in a bowl and enjoy.