Keto Beef Moussaka with Zucchini
Moussaka is a signature of Greek cuisine that combines all flavors of the Mediterranean. We’ve already published a recipe called Classic Greek Moussaka with Eggplant and Chicken and it was really delicious.
This time we decide to modify the classic recipe version and make Keto Beef Moussaka with Zucchini.
It’s a perfect dish for your family dinner. There’s nothing complicated to cook this recipe if you are ready to spend 40 minutes in the kitchen (mostly just the passive baking time).
All you need is to broil some zucchinis first, it will make a base of our moussaka. Then prepare the beef with marinara sauce and seasonings, cover the meat with creamy cheese sauce and top with some cheese, this will create a perfectly crispy golden dome on top of our moussaka.
By the way, you can make your own marinara sauce. You’ll need a can of whole tomatoes, some olive oil, few garlic cloves, red pepper flakes and Italian seasoning (you can use both dried herbs or fresh sprigs of basil and oregano).
Combine all ingredients in a pot and simmer for 30 minutes. That’s it, your homemade marinara is ready! It’s super easy and you’ll be sure that there’s no hidden carbs or any artificial sugars.
Let’s Ketofy It!
Preheat the oven to 400F.
Cut zucchini into thin slices then place them in a baking tray. Season with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper and broil for 5 minutes in the oven.
In a frying pan over medium-high heat, add olive oil in then add garlic and onion and cook until soft. Add ground beef and seasonings in. Saute until the beef is cooked. Add marinara sauce and cook for another 3 more minutes. Set aside.
To make the cheese sauce, add cream cheese, shredded cheese, heavy cream, garlic and salt in a saucepan on low heat until the cheese is melted and the sauce becomes thick and smooth.
To assemble the Moussaka: Place zucchini slices in the bottom of a baking dish, then add cooked beef and pour over the cheese sauce. Finally, top with the remaining cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
Let it cool before serving with a low carb salad or some leafy greens.
Save this recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
- Keto Zucchini Cherry Tomatoes Frittata
- Cheesy Bacon Chicken Caesar Casserole
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole
Beef Moussaka With Zucchini
For the beef:
For the sauce:
- 3 tbsp heavy cream
- 3 tbsp cream cheese
- 3 oz Gouda cheese (or cheddar, shredded, divided)
- 1 garlic clove minced
- salt to taste
- Line a baking tray with foil. Slice the zucchini, transfer to the baking tray, brush with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper and broil for 5 minutes or until golden.
- Heat the olive oil in a frying pan, add chopped onion, minced garlic and fry until soft. Add minced beef and seasonings and fry until meat is cooked. Add marinara sauce, stir and cook for additional 3 minutes.
- Combine half of shredded cheese, cream cheese, heavy cream, garlic and salt in a saucepan and heat on low until cheese melts and the sauce become thick and smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 400F. Place slices of broiled zucchini in the bottom of a baking dish, top with beef mixture, pour over the sauce, sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving. Can be served with green salad or some leafy greens.