2 Keto Lemon Cheesecakes With and Without Crust
Today we want to share with you our simple low carb baked lemon cheesecake recipe. This dessert is very simple and delicious. Your friends and family will definitely love it. They won’t even know that it’s low carb!
Instead of using a 10-inch pan to make 1 large cake, we decided to make 2 smaller and different cakes using two 4-inch spring forms.
Cake #1 has almond flour crust and cake #2 doesn’t have a crust. The filling is the same for both cakes.
We just love experimenting different variations of low carb and sugar-free cheesecakes. You can follow this exact recipe or simply create your own version.
For the filling, we use cream cheese, egg, sour cream, and xanthan gum. To add more flavor, we use vanilla extract, lemon juice, lemon zest, and sweetener. Xanthan gum helps binding the mixture better. You can leave it out if you want to.
Make sure the cream cheese is soft, not right out of the fridge. It’s better to take it out of the fridge an hour before you start making the cake.
To decorate, we whipped heavy cream with lemon juice and sweetener on the top of the cake.
If you don’t want to make 2 separate cakes like we did, feel free to make 1 whole large cake using the same ingredients for this recipe. Just pour the entire filling mixture on the crust and bake.
Let's Ketofy It!
Making the crust for cake #1:
Start making the crust for the first cake. Melt your butter and combine it with almond flour in a bowl. Fold the ingredients together with vanilla, sweetener, and xanthan gum. Xanthan gum is a binding agent which helps prevent separation of ingredients, especially in gluten free baking recipes. For extra flavor for the crust, you can add other ground nuts such as macadamia, pecan or walnuts or using some shredded coconut.
Next, lay a parchment paper on the base of one of your baking form. Transfer the crust on the form and flatten evenly on all sides. Place in the preheated oven (set at 300 F) for 10-15 minutes. Take out from the oven. Let it stand to cool.
Making the filling for both cakes:
Create the filling by blending the sour cream, lemon juice, vanilla, sweetener, and softened cream cheese in a mixer. Crack the eggs in the mixer one by one and blend up till the mixture is homogeneous and creamy. Finally mix in the xanthan gum and lemon zest. You can also experiment another version using lime in the place of lemon.
For cake #1 (with the Crust): Measure about 1/3 of the produced filling and pour this onto the crust. This will be the first cake.
For cake #2 (Crustless): Transfer the remaining filling on the second baking form. This will be the crustless cake.
Now Let’s Making These Cakes:
For best baking result: Prepare a baking pan or baking form, which is larger than the forms for the cake, to make the cheesecake. You can use a roast pan for this. Wrap a foil on the base of the baking forms with cake batters. Place them inside the larger baking form. Fill the form with water halfway through to avoid burning the sides and making the cake creamy and cooked evenly.
For a simpler procedure (if you find this method complicated), just bake the cake in a normal way using a baking dish. Bake and wait for the edges of the cake to set and the middle of the cake to be jiggly. Your oven should be preheated to 300 F.
Remove from the oven once the cake is cooked. Allow to cool for a few minutes then chill in the fridge for 4 hours or so. Ideally, store in the fridge overnight for a better result. Decorate in any way you wish. Serve.
Feel free to save this recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
Keto Lemon Cheesecake
For the Crust (for the 1st cake)
Making The Crust for Cake #1
- To make the crust for the first cake, melt butter and combine it with almond flour, vanilla, xanthan gum and sweetener. Mix well.
- Cover your form with parchment paper and distribute crust mix on the bottom of your form. Poke it with a fork.
- Bake 10-15 min in a preheated 300F oven then remove and set aside.
Making The Filling for Both Cakes
- For the filling: In a bowl combine softened cream cheese, sour cream, sweetener, vanilla and lemon juice. Mix it well with a mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time and blend till fully incorporated.
- Add lemon zest and xanthan gum, mix well.
- Pour 1/3 of the filling on top of the crust to make the first cake
- Pour 2/3 of the filling in the second form to make the second crustless cake.
Baking Both Cakes
- To bake a cheesecake, you would need a pan/form bigger than the one you are using for the cake, Ex: roast pan. Cover bottom of your cake form with foil and put it inside a bigger form filled with boiled water till it reached the middle of the cake form. This way the sides will not get burned, and cake is evenly cooked and comes out creamy. If this method is too complicated for you, just simply bake the cake the way you would normally do it.
- Put it in a preheated 300F oven. Bake it till edges are set, the middle might be a bit jiggly (around 30 minutes).
- Take it out and let it cool then refrigerate for at least 4 hours. It’s better to keep it in a fridge overnight to let it fully set. Decorate to your liking.