This stuffed spaghetti squash recipe is definitely for those who want to try something new. It can be done in multiple ways. We chose to fill our spaghetti squash with cheese, sour cream, and spinach. You can also add ground beef, chicken, bacon, or any other combination of keto-friendly foods to make it a complete dinner meal.
Spaghetti squash has higher carb amount per serving than other types of summer squash such as zucchini. As a rule of thumb, the sweeter the vegetable is, the more sugar and carb it has.
1 cup (101g) of raw spaghetti squash has 31 calories, 0.6g fat, 0.6g protein, and 7g carb which is not that bad, especially if you know how to save your daily carb for a higher-carb meal. One medium-size spaghetti squash should make approximately 4 cups, which is what we will use for this recipe.
Feel free to save this recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
Spinach Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- 1 spaghetti squash medium size
- 100 g spinach freshly chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 1 tbsp cream cheese
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat your available oven to 350°F as you prepare the dish.
- Slice the spaghetti squash in the middle to make two pieces. Microwave for 3 minutes just to soften.
- Discard the seeds with a fork or your bare hands.
- Prepare a covered container and arrange the squash in. Leave to bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Once the squash becomes tender, remove and put aside.
- Start making the filling by heating olive oil in a skillet. Sauté the spinach and garlic in the oil.
- Gently mix in the parmesan cheese, sour cream, and cream cheese in the sautéed spinach and garlic. Stir the ingredients to combine.
- Transfer the filling into the empty squash halves. Distribute evenly between the two pieces. Mix with a spoon just to incorporate well. Sprinkle some mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake again for an additional 10 minutes up till the cheese is golden brown in color and melted.
- Transfer to a serving plate and enjoy while warm.