If you’re tired of making the same old chicken recipe all the time, then you need a change. Our low-carb instant pot chicken adobo features a healthy spin on a classic dish.
Most of the time, adobo dishes include a delicious sauce that may contain ingredients that are not 100 percent keto-friendly, such as sugar and vegetable oil. It may also include soy sauce, which can be problematic if you’re trying to avoid gluten.
Our chicken adobo recipe is made with coconut aminos instead of soy sauce and apple cider vinegar in place of sugar or sweetener.
Research shows that vinegar has numerous health benefits. It has been shown to contain an antiglycemic effect, which can help stabilize blood sugar levels (*).
It also has antimicrobial properties that can inhibit the growth of harmful bacteria. Additionally, vinegar has been shown to reduce blood pressure to keep your heart healthy (*).
Make sure that the apple cider vinegar you use is organic and unpasteurized or unfiltered.
This means that the vinegar contains the “mother”, which refers to the beneficial compounds that give vinegar all of its health benefits. Most store bought brands are highly processed and do not contain the mother.
You can use this recipe to prepare various types of meat, but we like to use chicken because of its numerous health benefits. For example, chicken isn’t only low in carbs and calories, but it’s also a complete protein, which means it contains all of the essential amino acids.
You can serve this meal with your favorite low-carb veggies or a salad prepared with vinegar and olive oil dressing to complement the flavors in the meat.
We guarantee you’ll love the way the instant pot brings out the tenderness and flavor of these chicken thighs!
Don’t forget to check our other keto chicken thigh recipes on our blog.
Let’s Do It!
Wash and dry the chicken thighs. Season them with salt and pepper.
Turn the instant pot to the “saute” mode.’ Wait until it’s hot and then add olive oil.
Then add the chicken thighs and cook for up to 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
Press “cancel” and remove the meat.
Add the onion, garlic, coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, and chili powder to the instant pot. Stir well.
Arrange the chicken thighs on top in a layer.
Close the lid, set to “seal,” and cook on high for 10 minutes. Then do a quick release.
Take the lid off and set to “saute” mode again. Cook for another 10 minutes or until the sauce thickens. Remove the bay leaf. Serve warm!
More easy chicken recipes using Instant Pot you can try:
- Instant Pot Chicken Wings
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Instant Pot Orange Chicken
- Instant Pot Rotisserie Whole Chicken
Instant Pot Chicken Adobo
- 4 chicken thighs boneless & skinless
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- ½ onion sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- sea salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp parsley or scallions, chopped (for garnish, optional)
- ⅓ cup water
- Wash and pat dry chicken thighs. Season with salt and black pepper. You can also use whole chicken breast, legs or drumsticks if you want.
- Hit the “saute” button on your instant pot, wait until hot, and add olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add chicken thighs and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Press “cancel” and take the chicken thighs out.
- Add onion, garlic, coconut aminos, apple cider vinegar, and chili powder to the instant pot. Stir well and arrange chicken thighs on top in a single layer.
- Close the lid, set the valve to “seal,” and cook for 10 minutes on high pressure or poultry mode (for 6-quart and 8-quart models). When cooked, do a quick release.
- Take off the lid and turn the “saute” mode on again. Cook for 10 minutes to thicken the sauce. Discard the bay leaf.
- Arrange chicken thighs together with sauce on a platter and sprinkle with chopped parsley or scallions. Enjoy!