Keto Cheesy Chicken Parmesan Casserole
A French dish, the word “casse” means pan, originally it was all vegetables plus many cheese gathered together in a frying pan and put in the oven.
The style of the recipe didn’t changed much since its development in 1866, made, baked and eaten from the same scoop makes it more home style cooking. Only thing that has changed is the amount of ingredients. Original casserole was semi vegetarian, but the recipe started to contain meat or seafood.
You are free to wisely add some ingredients to your taste. The most important thing to keep in mind while making any kind of layered dish, that contains such “heavy” ingredients like meat, is that the bigger and thicker products are the first layer, and the base for the rest.
This recipe is high in fat and protein, we use cooked chicken (either breast or thigh), parmesan, mozzarella as the main ingredients. To make it a complete meal, it’s best to serve this dish with a low carb side such as salad or leafy greens.
Or you can add a layer of veggies (such as cauliflower, broccoli or spinach) inside this casserole, between the meat layer and the cheese topping for a complete meal.
We use low carb marinara sauce for this dish. It should be homemade with no added sugar. The most keto-friendly store-bought one we found is Rao’s Homemade Marinara Sauce.
This dish is tasty, cheesy and super easy to make. Your family will definitely love it!
Let's Ketofy It!
Preheat your oven to 350°F.
Prepare your baking dish and grease it lightly. Lay the chicken in the pan and pour the marinara sauce evenly.
Coat the top of the chicken with red pepper flakes, parmesan, and mozzarella. Sprinkle bacon and dried basil for added flavor.
Place the dish in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the dish once the cheese is bubbling.
Watch how we made this here:
Save this recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
Keto Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- 2 cups cooked chicken cubed or shredded
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 slice bacon fried and crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare the baking dish and grease it lightly so the chicken will not stick to the pan. Lay out the chicken in the pan then spread the marinara sauce all over.
- Dredge the top with some red pepper flakes, parmesan, and mozzarella. Finally, sprinkle bacon and dried basil for more flavor.
- Put in the pre-heated oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove once the cheese has melted and formed bubbles.