Our keto cheesy chicken parmesan casserole is the perfect dish to make ahead and keep in the freezer when you want a hearty dish but don’t want to put the effort into making it!
Casseroles are also the perfect dish to give as a gift. If you know someone who can’t cook or doesn’t have the time or resources to put together a meal, then send this dish their way!
A French dish, the word “casse” means pan. Originally, it was an all vegetables dish with cheese gathered together in a frying pan and put in the oven.
The style of the recipe hasn’t change much since it was developed in 1866. The French are masters of home-style cooking. The only thing that has changed is the amount of ingredients. The original casserole was semi vegetarian, but the recipe evolved to contain meat or seafood.
You are free to wisely add some ingredients to your dish, as long as they are low-carb! The most important thing to keep in mind while making any kind of layered dish that contains such “heavy” ingredients like meat is that the bigger and thicker products are the first layer. They serve as the base for the rest.
This recipe is high in fat and protein. We use cooked chicken (either breast or thigh), parmesan, and mozzarella as the main ingredients. To make it a complete meal, it’s best to serve this dish with a low carb side, such as salad or leafy greens.
Or you can add a layer of veggies (such as cauliflower, broccoli or spinach) inside this casserole between the meat layer and the cheese topping for a complete meal.
We use low-carb marinara sauce for this dish. It should be homemade with no added sugar. The most keto-friendly store-bought one we found is Rao’s Homemade Marinara Sauce.
This dish is tasty, cheesy and super easy to make. Your family will definitely love it!
Let’s Do It!
Preheat your oven to 350°F.
Prepare your baking dish and grease it lightly. Lay the chicken in the pan and pour the marinara sauce evenly.
Coat the top of the chicken with red pepper flakes, parmesan, and mozzarella. Sprinkle bacon and dried basil for added flavor.
Place the dish in the oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the dish once the cheese is bubbling.
Save this recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
Keto Chicken Parmesan Casserole
- 2 cups cooked chicken cubed or shredded
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 slice bacon fried and crushed
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Prepare the baking dish and grease it lightly so the chicken will not stick to the pan. Lay out the chicken in the pan then spread the marinara sauce all over.
- Dredge the top with some red pepper flakes, parmesan, and mozzarella. Finally, sprinkle bacon and dried basil for more flavor.
- Put in the pre-heated oven and bake for 25 minutes. Remove once the cheese has melted and formed bubbles.