Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole
Chicken casserole with jalapeño is a smooth and creamy recipe with unparalleled flavor. If you are on the Keto diet, you should try this low carb version of casserole. The roasted chicken, bacon and jalapeno make an unbeatable combination. It looks and tastes delicious and will make a great family dinner.
You can use chicken breasts for this recipe but we prefer chicken thighs as it will taste much better. You can buy the meat with or without skin but it needs to be boneless or you’ll have to debone the meat before adding cheese and cream mixture.
If you love spicy foods, this recipe is for you. If you can’t handle spicy foods, don’t worry! You can reduce the amount of jalapenos and spices used in this recipe to your desired amount.
A lot of hot sauce products from store are not keto-friendly due to added sugar. The brand we recommend is Frank’s RedHot Original Cayenne Pepper Sauce as it’s made of keto-friendly ingredients.
Don’t forget to serve your meal with some fresh lettuce and a crispy buffalo chicken wing.
Updated: We’re sharing 2 different versions of this Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole dish. Feel free to try both of them and let us know how you go.
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 60 minutes | Servings: 6
Macros (per serving): Calories: 664 – Fat: 54.6g – Net carbs: 2.1g (total carbs: 2.3g, dietary fiber: 0.2g) – Protein: 39.2g
- 1.5 lbs raw chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- 6 chicken wings
- 4 slices bacon
- 5 oz cheddar cheese, (5 slices, chopped)
- 10 oz cream cheese
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 3 jalapenos fresh, medium size
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp hot sauce (keto-friendly, optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- coriander leaves for decoration
Set the oven to 350 F to preheat.
First, bake the chicken: Marinate chicken thighs and wings with salt, pepper, and minced garlic. Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet. Let these brown in the preheated oven for 40 minutes.
In the meantime, place a non stick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the chopped bacon until the fat is melted, add jalapeños in.
Once the bacon crisps and turns golden, add the hot sauce (if using), cream cheese, and mayo into the sautéed jalapeños and bacon bits. Stir to combine well then remove from the stove.
Take out the baked chicken from the oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes. Chop or shred the chicken thigh into bite-sized chunks. Set the wings aside for final dish decoration.
Transfer the chopped chicken in a baking dish. Spread the cream cheese and bacon mixture on the surface and top with chopped cheddar cheese slices. (Note: You can also use a mix of both cheddar and mozzarella for more flavors).
Rebake for another 10 minutes to melt the cheese. Garnish with chopped coriander and chicken wings. Serve in a platter with lettuce salad on the side. Best served warm.
Save this recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 45 minutes | Servings: 6
Macros (per serving): Calories: 498 – Fat: 35.7g – Net carbs: 3.2g (total carbs: 3.7g, dietary fiber: 0.5g) – Protein: 39.6g
- 1 lb chicken breast, cooked
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 jalapenos, (up to your liking)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 2 cup cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander
- Salt and pepper to taste
Pre-heat the oven to 400 °F.
Chop chicken, bacon, garlic, and onion into small pieces. Set the chicken aside.
In a frying pan over medium heat, fry onion, garlic and bacon in butter for about 10 minutes until cooked.
Add coriander, jalapeno, salt and pepper in and cook for another 2 minute.
Add 1/2 of the cheddar cheese, cream cheese and chicken broth. Bring to boil then let it simmer for 10 minutes and stir occasionally so it doesn’t stick at the bottom. You should get a thick and creamy mixture.
In a large baking dish or 2 small baking dishes, add cooked chicken first then cover it with the cream cheese mixture on top. Add the remaining cheddar cheese then bake in the oven until the cheese is melted or golden, depending on how you like it. It usually takes about 15-20 minutes.
Additional toppings include crispy bacon bits, jalapenos slices and coriander. Serve warm leafy greens or salad.
Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C (400 °F).
- Cut the precooked chicken breast into small bite-sized pieces and set aside. (Note: If you don’t have precooked chicken breast ready, simply prepare this by seasoning raw chicken breast with salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil then bake at 400F for 25-30 minutes until cooked).
- Chop bacon slices, garlic, and onion with a sharp knife into small pieces. Sauté them with butter in a large frying pan or a wok over medium heat. Fry until the onion and the bacon are translucent. This could take about 10 minutes.
- Add jalapeno slices, coriander, salt and pepper. Stir well for 2 minutes.
- Add cream cheese, half of the cheddar cheese and chicken broth. Bring to boil then simmer. Stir gently for about 10 minutes until you get a thick and creamy mixture.
- Making The Casserole: place chicken pieces at the bottom of a casserole or a baking dish. Pour the cream cheese mixture on top of the chicken and finally add the remaining cheddar cheese. Bake in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is all melted.
- Top with a few pieces of jalapenos, crispy bacon bits and coriander. Serve warm with a low carb salad or leafy greens.