It’s breakfast sandwich time! Don’t panic. We’re not referring to the unhealthy kind you get at fast-food restaurants with processed meat and questionable eggs.
We have made many keto recipes using ground beef, and this keto morning meatball sandwich will have you looking forward to mornings again. It features minced beef with onions and various herbs and spices for a truly hearty way to start your day.
You’ll use your meatball as your sandwich bread. How? By cutting it open like you could open a bun. The only thing you’ll be missing is the carbs.
What makes the beef so healthy? It provides 10 essential nutrients, including protein, zinc, iron and B vitamins. Research shows that protein tends to be more satiating than other nutrients, which means that you’ll end up feeling fuller and consuming fewer calories throughout the day when you eat it (1).
A 100-gram serving of grass-fed beef contains 198 calories, 12.73 grams of fat, 0 grams of carbs, and 19.42 grams of protein (2). It also contains 12 mg of calcium, 1.99 mg of iron, 19 mg of magnesium, 175 mg of phosphorus, 289 mg of potassium, 4.55 mg of zinc, and 14.2 mcg of selenium.
Plus, grass-fed beef contains antioxidants, B vitamins, copper, and vitamin E. It’s much more nutrient-dense than many people think!
To enhance the flavor, we mix our beef with an egg, onion, garlic powder, parsley, and salt and pepper. You’ll also need homemade mayo, lettuce leaves, and tomatoes to complete your low-carb sandwich.
You can serve this breakfast sandwich as is or with a side of your favorite eggs or low-carb veggies, such as sauteed spinach, grilled asparagus, or steamed broccoli. You can also top it with bacon and avocado if you’re feeling creative and need something even more filling.
Let’s Do It!
In a bowl, combine parsley, beef, egg, onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
In a bowl, mix the meatball ingredients until well combined.
Slice the meatball mixture in half and roll each part into a ball.
Place the meatballs on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for about 25 to 30 minutes.
Let the cooked meatballs sit for about 5 minutes. Then, slice them open like you would slice open a bun.
Spread the mayo on the bottom of each half. Add a lettuce leaf and a slice of tomato. Season with salt and pepper.
Close the meatball sandwich with the other half of the meatball and seal with a toothpick. Serve with sauce, low-carb veggies or eggs.
More Keto Sandwich Recipes You Can Try:
- No-Bread Chicken Sandwich
- Bacon Cheese Egg Bites ‘Sandwich’
- Cauliflower Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Cucumber Tuna Sandwiches
Keto Morning Meatball Sandwich
- 2 tsp mayonnaise
- 2 leaves lettuce
- 2 slices tomato
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place all ingredients for the meatballs in a bowl and mix until well combined. Divide meat mixture into two parts and roll each into a ball.
- Arrange meatballs onto a baking tray and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- When cooked, let sit for 5 minutes and open each meatball in the same way you open a burger bun.
- Spread mayo on each bottom part of the meatball. Top with a lettuce leaf and tomato slice and season with salt and pepper. Close with the meatball tops and secure with toothpicks.
- Serve with your favourite sauce and eggs if you’d like!