Have you ever tried any spanakopita recipes? Traditional spanakopita is an authentic Greek savoury pie stuffed with spinach, feta, eggs, onions or green onions and seasonings.
Trust us, it’s super tasty, but unfortunately, it’s not low-carb. The filling of spanakopita is wrapped or layered in phyllo pastry, which, of course, is too high in carbohydrates and not keto-friendly.
But we managed to modify authentic spanakopita recipe and are glad to present you our Low Carb Spanakopita Noodles. We preserved the taste of the Greek recipe, but without the pastry.
We have almost the same filling, but add shirataki noodles instead of savoury phyllo pastry. So, the end result is something like spanakopita pasta.
It’s well known that shirataki noodles soak up whatever flavours you cook them with, so we love spanakopita noodles and so does this recipe!
First, you need to cook shirataki according to the package directions. Most shirataki noodles only need you to add them to boiling water for one or two minutes. The noodles contain mostly water, so you don’t want to overcook them or they will break apart and become soggy.
This Greek classic dish is normally full of carbs, but we found a way to keep its authentic flavour while getting rid of the carbs. The secret is in the shirataki noodles, a good low-carb pasta substitute, which are made primarily of water and contain barely any carbs or calories.
Let’s Do It!
To make, cook the onion and garlic in olive oil on a stovetop pan. Add the spinach and cook until soft.
Then, fry chopped onion and garlic in olive oil until fragrant. Add spinach and nutmeg to the pan and continue to cook until spinach is wilted.
Prepare your noodles according to the package and them to the pan. Then pour in the beaten egg and stir until the egg is set.
Season with chopped dill and mint and stir well. Divide spinach noodles between plates and top with crumbled feta. Sprinkle with grated Grana Padano and enjoy your Low Carb Spanakopita Noodles! Serve immediately while hot!
You can eat this dish alone or as a side dish with other meat-based entrees.
Similar low carb noodles and pasta recipes you can try:
- Zucchini Spaghetti with Pesto
- Shirataki Noodles Carbonara Pasta
- Beef Spinach and Shirataki Noodles Stir Fry
Keto Spanakopita Noodles
- Cook shirataki according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan, add chopped onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until fragrant. Add spinach and nutmeg and cook until spinach is wilted, season with salt and pepper.
- Add a tablespoon of butter to wilted spinach and transfer shirataki noodles to the same pan. Pour in beaten egg and stir until the egg is set. Stir in chopped dill and mint.
- Divide between serving plates and top with crumbled feta. Sprinkle with grated Grana Padano and more black pepper if needed.