Zucchini is one of the most versatile veggies when it comes to the low carb ketogenic diet. You can create so many different and delicious meals with it. It’s the keto dieter’s best friend! Today we will show you how we make keto Carbonara.
Carbonara is an Italian dish from Rome made with pasta, egg, hard cheese, and bacon.
To keep this recipe low carb, zucchini will be used as a replacement for pasta. We use smoked bacon cubes for this recipe, but you can use regular bacon as well. It will be just as delicious.
Of all the ways to cook zucchini, the carbonara is one of our favorites. It’s a 5-minute recipe, perfect for a quick lunch or dinner.
To make it more creamy, we recommend adding an additional tablespoon of cream cheese.
Feel free to save this recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
- 1 large zucchini
- 60 g Smoked Bacon Cubes
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 oz Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp cream cheese (optional)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cut the washed zucchini with a grater or spiralizer to form zucchini ribbons resembling spaghetti. Discard the seeds.
- Boil some cups of water in a pot. Toss in the zucchini strips and leave for about a minute. Drain and put aside.
- Start making the creamy carbonara sauce in a bowl. Mix the egg and egg yolk together. Lightly throw in half of the Parmesan and all of the cream cheese. Stir the ingredients with a fork. Pep up with salt and pepper. Stir continuously then reserve for later.
- Crispy fry the bacon on hot olive oil over medium-high heat until it turns dark brown.
- Mix the bacon with the minced garlic for half a minute. Remember to crisp the bacon first before throwing the garlic in so that it will not be burnt.
- Plop the zucchini spaghetti in with considerate care. Combine with the bacon and stir for 2 minutes. Do not overcook the zucchini since it will become too soft. Strain any unnecessary liquids if you dislike watery carbonara.
- Coat with the sauce and mix hastily. Turn off the heat.
- Best eaten hot with chopped cilantro and more Parmesan on top.