This is an easy and delicious recipe. The roasting cooking method will enhance the sweetness of the yellow squash and combined with the basil, this will really make for an amazing keto side dish.
By combining basil and olive oil, you will bring the flavors together in perfect harmony. Basil, when fresh, has an initial subtle peppery flavor. When cooked, it evolves into a slightly sweet, aromatic flavor. For this recipe, it is very important that the basil is added only on the last step since overcooking the basil will remove the flavors and can result in bitterness.
This recipe can be made with zucchini squash, or even with bell peppers. In the case of bell peppers, you can add a few more minutes to the initial baking time to ensure the pepper is cooked properly. You can also substitute the basil with mint, thyme, or fresh oregano.
To make it really pretty and delicious, get it out of the oven and sprinkle with a little more of fresh virgin olive oil… Yum!
Save this recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
- Spinach Stuffed Spaghetti Squash with Cheese
- Keto Zucchini Spaghetti with Pesto
- Zucchini Linguine with Shrimp
[thrive_text_block color=”orange” headline=”Receive Our Free 7-Day Keto Meal Plan + Weekly Recipes”] [thrive_optin color=”blue” text=”Send me!” optin=”55" size=”medium” layout=”horizontal”][/[/thrive_text_block]/p>
Roasted Yellow Squash with Basil
- Prepare the yellow squash and cut lengthwise to form thin slices.
- Grease the baking sheet with some olive oil or coconut oil. Neatly arrange the squash slices onto the sheet. Drizzle with some olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Set the oven to 350°F and bake the squash for 5-7 minutes. Take out from the oven and flip the strips. Chop the basil leaves in half and add a half portion on top of each squash. Top with some shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Replace in the oven and bake for another 3-4 minutes. Once the cheese has melted, remove.
- Serve as a side with your favorite protein main dish.