Here is a chocolate ice cream recipe for a low carb lifestyle. If you are missing ice cream on your ketogenic diet, this is a recipe you can use to satisfy your cravings.
It’s much better to make homemade keto-friendly ice cream than buying products at the store. Most store-bought ice cream brands contain a lot of sugar. Let’s learn how to make your own from home!
Let’s Ketofy It!
Allow the chocolate and coconut oil to melt together using a double boiler set over low heat. Remember to stir the mixture once in a while to avoid lumps. Turn off the heat and leave to cool for a couple of minutes.
Separate the egg yolk from the egg whites.
In the bowl of egg whites, sprinkle some salt and mix. Alternatively, instead of salt, you can also pour some lemon juice into the egg whites, but avoid adding both. Whip for a few minutes until the egg whites become foamy and have soft peaks. Fold the vanilla extract into the mixture as well. Whip again.
For the egg yolks, gradually pour the sweetener while whisking continuously to mix evenly. Repeatedly whisk to produce a stiff mixture.
Prepare another bowl for the heavy whipping cream and coconut cream. Whisk the mixture as well until homogeneous and creamy.
Incorporate the avocado with the melted chocolate and coconut oil mixture. Blend until fully combined.
Fold the egg yolk mixture into the blended avocado mix. Whisk to combine. Afterwards, mix in the egg white as well. Avoid deflating the egg white mixture. Stir the ingredients slowly.
Finally, combine the whipped cream mixture into the large bowl. Mix continuously until homogeneous.
Incorporate any cocoa nibs into the final mix. You can also use sugar-free chocolate chips for this.
Transfer everything into a large container then freeze for a couple of hours. It is best to leave it in the freezer for 6-24 hours.
Check if the ice cream is set and ready. Scoop out 2-3 scoops and enjoy.
Bonus: If you like the classical chocolate-strawberry combo for your ice cream, simply incorporate a strawberry purée bomb in the center of the ice cream scoops. First make the purée bombs in silicone forms then use a bigger form to submerge the bombs in the ice cream mixture. Freeze for hours until ready.
Unmold a piece of the ice cream and cut in half. The strawberry bomb looks like this picture below.
- Keto Chocolate Collagen Protein Ice Cream
- Keto Avocado Ice Cream Bars with Coconut and Brazil Nuts
- Keto Chocolate Mason Jar Ice Cream
Low Carb Chocolate Ice Cream
- 300 g dark chocolate 90%, sugar free, crushed into pieces
- 6 eggs large, separated
- 100 g coconut oil or cocoa butter
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 150 g Swerve or your choice of sweetener
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 2 avocado
- 3 tbsp Lily’s Dark Chocolate Chips or any sugar free chocolate chips or cocoa nibs, optional
- 1/8 tsp Himalayan Salt or any other choice, optional
- Prepare a double boiler over low heat to melt the coconut oil and chocolate together. Stir occasionally. Remove once done and let stand to cool for a few minutes.
- Place the egg yolks and egg whites in separate bowls.
- Add the salt or lemon juice (but not both) in the bowl with egg whites. Whip together to produce soft peaks. Pour the vanilla extract into the mix.
- Whisk the egg yolks while gradually adding the sweetener. Beat till a stiff mixture is obtained.
- In a separate bowl, beat the coconut cream along with the heavy whipping cream till you produce a soft mix.
- Blend the avocado with the melted coconut oil and chocolate.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the blended avocado mix and add the whipped egg white mix too. Remember not to deflate the egg white mix.
- Fold the whipped cream into the mixture. Stir until well-combined.
- Toss in the cocoa nibs or sugar-free chocolate chips if you have any.
- Pour the final mix into a container. Leave in the freezer for 6-24 hours.
- When ready to serve, simply scoop and transfer to a bowl.
- To make a classical chocolate-strawberry combo, add strawberry purée bomb in the center. To do this, use a silicone mold to make the purée before making the ice cream. Use another mold to submerge the strawberry in the chocolate ice cream. Leave in the freezer until set.
- When cut in the middle, this is the result: