This keto white chicken chili is a very delicious chicken soup. This is my low carb version of the traditional dish and it’s also very quick and easy to prepare.
I used raw chicken breast for this recipe and I cut it into small cubes before sauteing it. You can use shredded rotisserie chicken if you want to. You can even use beef, pork or shrimp instead of chicken. The recipe will be the same even if you try different meat flavor.
You can also add shredded cheese, cream cheese and sour cream or coconut cream to thicken the soup.
To keep it quick and simple, I prepared this keto chicken chili recipe in a saucepan. You can use a crockpot, slow cooker or instant pot as well if you prefer trying different methods. I’ll share more tips on how to do that below.
Save this recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
How to Make Low Carb White Chicken Chili Soup
Prep the Ingredients: Start by finely chopping the chili pepper and onion. Dice the boneless skinless chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces, season with salt and pepper, and set aside. This ensures even cooking and a burst of flavor in every bite.
Cauliflower Prep: For a tender cauliflower texture, either microwave the slivered cauliflower with ¼ cup of water for 3 minutes or sauté in a pan until slightly softened. This step ensures the cauliflower cooks evenly in the chili.
Cook the Chicken: In a medium saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken pieces and lightly brown them. This searing locks in the juices, ensuring a tender chicken in your chili. You can make shredded chicken for the soup too.
Build the Chili: Pour the chicken broth into the saucepan and bring to a boil. Add the minced garlic and chopped onion. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld.
Add Vegetables: Stir in the chopped chili pepper and pre-cooked cauliflower. The chili pepper adds a hint of heat, which can be adjusted based on your preference.
Cheese Time: Reduce the heat to low and stir in the grated cheddar cheese or pepper jack cheese. Continue to stir until the cheese is completely melted, giving the chili a creamy texture.
Season and Serve: Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. For those who love a deeper flavor profile, consider adding a pinch of coriander, cayenne pepper, dried oregano, and ground cumin. More optional choices include chili powder, onion powder, etc…
Once seasoned to your liking, transfer to bowls and serve hot. Enjoy your hearty and keto-friendly beanless chili soup.
If you’re looking for more chicken dishes, check this list of low carb chicken recipes for lunch and dinner.
- Zucchini Pork Ramen Soup
- Keto Crock-Pot Taco Soup with Beef
- Stracciatella Soup
- Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Slow Cooker Cauliflower Cheese Soup
- Keto Bacon Cheeseburger Soup
- Low Carb Zuppa Toscana Soup
Keto White Chicken Chili
- Brunoise cut the chili pepper and onion to make small chunks. Also, chop the chicken into bite-sized pieces and dredge with salt and pepper. Reserve.
- Sliver the cauliflower and place in the microwave for 3 minutes together with ¼ cup of water. Alternatively, stir the vegetable in a pan if a microwave is unavailable. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan. Lightly brown the chicken breast for a few minutes.
- Pour the broth into the pan and let it boil. Toss in the garlic and onion. Simmer for about 5 minutes before adding the chopped chili pepper and cauliflower.
- Gently drop the cheese and mix for 5 minutes to melt the cheese completely. Adjust the taste with a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour additional water to thicken the mixture to your liking. Optionally, add coriander, cayenne pepper, dried oregano, and ground cumin for additional flavor. Transfer to a bowl and enjoy while warm.
How To Cook White Chicken Chili in a Crockpot
Using the ingredients in the recipe card above, here’s how to prepare this keto crockpot white chicken chili recipe:
- Begin by preparing your ingredients: Dice the chicken breast and season with salt and pepper. Brunoise cut the chili pepper and onion into small chunks. Sliver the cauliflower and set aside.
- In a skillet, heat the olive oil and lightly brown the chicken breast for a few minutes. This step helps to seal in the juices of the chicken.
- Transfer the browned chicken to the crockpot. Add in the chicken broth, chili pepper, garlic, onion, and cauliflower.
- Cover and set the crockpot to low. Let it cook for 4-5 hours, allowing the flavors to meld and the chicken to become tender.
- About 30 minutes before serving, add in the grated cheddar cheese and stir well, allowing the cheese to melt and incorporate into the chili.
- Before serving, taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper as needed. For those desiring additional flavor, consider adding coriander, cayenne pepper, dried oregano, and ground cumin.
- Serve warm in bowls, and enjoy a hearty keto-friendly white chicken chili made effortlessly in your crockpot!
Why is my white chicken chili not thick?
Your white chicken chili may not be thick due to an excess of liquid or insufficient simmering time. Consider reducing the broth if your soup is too watery or increasing the simmering duration to achieve the desired consistency.
How do you thicken white chicken chili?
To thicken white chicken chili soup while keeping it low carb, you can use a combination of monterey jack cheese, cream cheese or heavy cream, or simmer the chili for a longer duration to reduce the liquid. Another option I can think of but would require extra effort is to puree a portion of the chili and mix it back in for a thicker consistency.
How many carbs are in white chicken chili?
The carb content in white chicken chili can vary based on the specific ingredients and recipe used. On average, a traditional white chicken chili might contain between 15-30 grams of carbs per serving which is definitely not keto friendly. My recipe only contains 5 grams of net carbs.