There has been much discussion about soup. Some say it is a daily must-have. Some say it is completely useless and does not keep you hydrated.
Some people think soup should not contain meat broth. There are those who say it does not contain any vitamins and contains less nutrients than main courses.
It’s true that some soups, especially canned soups, contain few very nutrients for the large amount of calories you’re getting. Some are hidden sources of flour, cornstarch, sugar, and inflammatory vegetable oils. However, making your own soup from scratch using this recipe ensures that you’ll be using your calories wisely.
Our instant pot low-carb broccoli cheese soup is made with high-quality ingredients, including onion, which is high in vitamin K, vitamin A, vitamin C, and folate. Onions are also low-calorie and have a low glycemic index so that they won’t spike your blood sugar levels.
Additionally, onions are a good source of prebiotic fiber to help fuel the good bacteria in your gut and boost immunity.
Garlic has vitamin B6, manganese, vitamin C, and copper while broccoli is a nutritional powerhouse full of vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants. Research shows that broccoli helps suppress cancerous tumor growth (1). It’s also low in carbs and calories and fits perfectly in any healthy diet.
If you don’t have broccoli, you can use cauliflower or other leafy green vegetables such as spinach instead.
Other ingredients in this recipe include cheddar, which is a good source of fat and protein, and heavy cream, which is great for keto dieters because of its high fat and low carb profile. The healthy fats found in these foods also help increase the bioavailability of many of the antioxidant nutrients found in the broccoli.
Heavy cream and cheddar also give this soup a delightful creaminess that will fill you up all by itself! Finally, nutmeg contains an abundance of antioxidants, including plant pigments like cyanidins and essential oils. You can use other substitutes for nutmeg or simply skip it.
To thicken the soup, you can use xanthan gum. It’s a keto-friendly cornstarch substitute for low-carb soup and sauce recipes.
You can serve this soup as a main course or enjoy alongside a nice steak for the perfect keto meal!
Let’s Do It!
Press the “saute” button on your instant pot. Add the butter, onion, garlic and sea salt. Cook until the onion is transparent, about 3-4 minutes.
Pour in the chicken broth. Add the broccoli and nutmeg. Cover and cook on manual high pressure mode for 3 minutes.
When the time is up, press the “cancel” button and release the pressure. Take the lid off and add the heavy cream.
Stir in the cheddar cheese by adding it in batches and stirring until it’s melted and well combined with the rest of the ingredients. Add xanthan gum if you want the soup to be thicker.
More Low-Carb Soup Recipes You Can Make:
Instant Pot Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Hit “saute” to preheat your instant pot. Add butter, chopped onion, garlic, and sea salt. Saute for 3-4 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Pour in the chicken broth and add nutmeg and broccoli florets. Cover and cook on manual, high-pressure mode, for 3 minutes.
- When time ends, hit “cancel” and use the quick pressure release. Take the lid off and pour in heavy cream.
- Stir in cheddar. Add it in batches, stirring constantly until cheese is melted and everything is incorporated.
- If you like the soup to be much thicker, use xanthan gum. Whisk xanthan gum with 3 tablespoons of warm water, broth or a little bit of soup until well blended. Add the mixture to the pot and stir the soup.
- Serve broccoli cheese soup in a bowl garnished with some more shredded cheddar.