Thinking you cannot eat beautiful mouthwatering desserts while on a keto diet? Think twice. This sugar free strawberry meringue is surprisingly delicious and beautiful to look at it.
When making this dessert, you have to pay close attention to a few details to make it successful and get that perfect crunchiness from the meringue to pop. Even though the keto meringue is quite simple and has very little ingredients, you must follow a few tips to get it just right.
Fresh egg whites must be used. I have tried this recipe with pasteurized egg whites and the result is not the same.
In order to be ready to bake, the egg batter must be firm enough, that when you hold the spoon upside down nothing falls off of it. And finally, when baking it, you must use the parchment paper and grease it.
If you are looking for a lower calorie version you can use plain Greek yogurt instead of the heavy cream. In this case, you will not be able to build the dessert and plate it but you can serve it in a cup or bowl.
There are many ways that you can pipe the meringue. I decided this thin round shape with a few little meringues for decoration, but you can make any shape and use a dessert cup if you don’t feel like having all the work to build a tower. No matter how you decide to make this, the flavor will not disappoint. Have fun!
Save this sugar-free Meringues recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
How to Make Low Carb Strawberry Meringues
Start by washing your strawberries, then slice them in half or into thinner slices if you prefer, and set them aside for later.
Now, let’s make the meringue. Take a clean mixing bowl and add 4 egg whites and 2 tablespoons of stevia powder. Using a mixer, beat these together on high speed for about 5 minutes. You’ll know it’s done when the mixture is fluffy and forms stiff peaks when you lift the beaters. Then, gently fold in the lemon zest.
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). While it’s heating, let’s prepare the meringue for baking. If you don’t have a piping bag, don’t worry. Just grab a sturdy plastic bag and fill it with your meringue mixture. Snip off a corner of the bag—now you’ve made your own piping bag! Next, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly grease it with cooking oil to prevent sticking. Pipe the meringue onto the sheet in small circles or whatever shape you like.
Place your meringues in the preheated oven and bake them for about 10 minutes. Keep an eye on them—you’re looking for a light golden-brown color at the base. When they’re done, take them out and let them cool off for a bit on the baking sheet. Once they’re cool to the touch, carefully move them to a plate.
For the cream layer, clean your mixer’s beaters, then pour 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and 1 tablespoon of stevia into the bowl. Whip these together on high speed until the cream is thick and holds its shape, which should take about 5 minutes.
Now it’s time to assemble your dessert! Start with a meringue base, add a dollop of your freshly whipped cream, and then a layer of strawberry slices. If you’re feeling fancy, you can add another layer or two of each, stacking them on top of each other.
To finish, sprinkle a little stevia powder over your strawberry meringue tower for an extra touch of sweetness.
Your Keto Strawberry Meringue is ready to serve! Enjoy your homemade, low-carb dessert.
- Low Carb Mousse Cake with Blueberry, Strawberry and Vanilla Layers
- Panna Cotta with Strawberry
- Low-Carb Vanilla Pudding
- Keto Meringue Cookies
Keto Strawberry Meringues
- 1 cup strawberries
- 4 egg whites
- 2 tbsp stevia powder
- Zests of 1 lemon
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp stevia powder
- Beat 4 egg whites and 2 tablespoons of stevia in a mixing bowl. Whisk the ingredients together for 5 minutes until they become fluffy and produce peaks. Mix in with the lemon zests.
- Pour the meringue into a piping bag. If a piping bag is unavailable, simply use any plastic bag and cut the tip. Place a parchment paper on top of a baking sheet and grease the surface with some cooking oil. Squeeze the piping bag onto the baking sheet to form any shape you like.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the meringue for about 10 minutes or until the base turns golden brown in color. Remove from the oven and let it stand for a few minutes to cool. Once cooled completely, transfer to a plate then set aside.
- In a mixer, pour the heavy whipping cream and stevia to make the cream. Mix for around 5 minutes and wait until the mixture becomes firm. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Cut the washed strawberries in half, or as thin as you wish.
- Form the dessert tower with the meringue as the base, cream as the 2nd layer, and the sliced strawberries on top. Repeat to at least 2-3 layers of meringue, cream, and strawberries. Sprinkle with some stevia powder and serve.