Lemon Cake with Coconut and Almond Topping
This is, without any doubt, one of our favourite keto desserts. It is creamy, crunchy, sweet and sour at the same time, and once you make it, you’ll want to start making it every week. It’s also great for a special occasion or a party, and your non-keto guests will also love it. In fact, they would never guess it is low carb and sugar free.
This cake might seem complicated because of the different stages – crust, filling and topping – but it really isn’t. The most important part is to stir well the filling mix when you pour in the eggs, so that they don’t cook immediately.
You can store this cake for about 2-3 days in the fridge (because of the eggs). Transfer in a plastic box or cover it with plastic wrap, so that it doesn’t dry too much. If you like, you can serve it with a bit of whipping cream (with no sugar).
Let's Ketofy It!
Let the oven preheat at 200C (~400F).
First, prepare the crust: Combine the coconut flour, almond flour, half tsp of lemon zest, half cup of erythritol, and 2 tbsp of butter. Add 2 tbsp of water as well. Stir well to incorporate.
Spray your baking dish with cooking oil. Flatten the crust mixture on the bottom of the dish. Bake for 15 minutes in the oven. When the crust sets and crisps, remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Next, make the filling: Pour the almond milk in a saucepan on low heat along with the rest of the erythritol and a tablespoon of butter. Mix continuously until the erythritol is completely dissolved. Include the lemon zest and lemon juice into the saucepan as well. Mix till combined.
Beat the eggs in a bowl then pour this into the pan while stirring. Continue mixing for 10 minutes or so until you obtain a thick mixture.
Evenly spread the mixture on top of the crust. Bake it again in the oven for 15 minutes.
In the meantime, prepare the topping in a blender. Blend the remaining butter, coconut chips (shredded coconut), and sliced almonds for a minute.
Cover the top of the cake with the blended toppings. Bake again for 5 minutes to achieve a golden topping with incredible fragrance.
Remove from the oven and let stand to cool before slicing into pieces. Enjoy!
Save this recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
Keto Lemon Cake
- Pre-heat the oven at 200 C.
- For the crust, mix the almond flour, coconut flour, 2 tbsp. of butter, ½ tsp. of lemon zest and ½ cup of erythritol in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of water.
- Spread cooking oil in a baking dish and pour the crust mix in it. Press it gently. Put it in the oven for 15 minutes or until crisp. Once it’s ready, take it out and let it sit.
- In the meantime, you can prepare the filling – in a saucepan, put almond milk, 1 tbsp. of butter, the remaining ½ cup of erythritol and stir well until the erythritol is dissolved. Add the lemon juice and lemon zest and stir again.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl and slowly add them to the saucepan, by stirring continuously.
- Stir until the mix starts to thicken (around 10 minutes).
- Pour the filling mix on top of the crust and spread evenly. Cook in the oven for another 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, you can prepare the topping – in a blender, put the coconut chips, sliced almonds and the remaining tablespoon of butter. Blend for about a minute.
- Sprinkle the topping on top of the cake and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Let the cake cool, cut into pieces and serve.