If you’re tired of eating the same dishes all the time and want to switch things up, then this recipe is for you. It will make an otherwise boring day seem special, especially if you’ve never tried mussels before.
This dish contains special ingredients. The key one is a mussel. These cute little shellfish contain qualities that make them a superfood. It’s one of the best seafood for keto diet.
A 100-gram serving of raw mussels contains 86 calories, nearly 12 grams of protein, 2.24 grams of fat, 3.69 grams of carbs, and 20 different vitamins and minerals (1).
Mussels are a great source of omega 3 fatty acids, including EPA and DHA, and many essential amino acids. Research shows that eating mussels three times a week for two weeks as your primary protein source at lunchtime significantly improves your omega 3 index and whole blood EPA and DHA levels (2).
Omega 3 fatty acids that are derived from marine sources have been shown to reduce the risk of death from cardiovascular heart disease. It also lowers the risk of cardiovascular disease in general (3). Omega 3 fatty acids also help protect the brain against neurodegeneration (4).
The other components in this recipe include lemon, which is a good source of vitamin C, folate and potassium, onions or shallots, which are high in protein, fiber, and micronutrients, including calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper, folate, B vitamins, and vitamins A and C, and chili flakes, which have thermogenic properties to “heat up” your metabolism.
You’ll also need garlic cloves, black pepper, butter, chicken broth, which has more than 19 easy-to-absorb, essential and nonessential amino acids that are needed to build protein and support digestive health and immune system support. Oh, yes, and white wine. It always couples well with seafood!
The special dish means you will need an assistant. It is your instant pot. Follow the instructions below to save time and effort while cooking this dish!
Let’s Do It!
Rinse the mussels and discard the “beards.” Get rid of any mussels that are broken or cracked.
Take the lid off the instant pot and set it to saute under the normal setting. Wait until the screen says “hot” and then add the butter.
Add chopped onion and saute for 2 minutes. Then add the garlic and chili flakes and cook another minute. Pour in ¼ cup of white wine, stir, and saute for one minute. Squeeze in half a lemon, add chicken broth, and stir. You can use Kettle and Fire chicken broth.
Add the mussels and mix. Make sure all mussels are coated with sauce. Put the lid on and press the cancel button on your settings. Then hit “manual” and set the timer for three minutes.
Remove the lid carefully and serve the mussels with the desired amount of sauce. Enjoy it with a glass of keto-friendly dry farm wines.
More Keto Seafood Recipes You Can Try:
- Pan-Seared Shrimp with Gremolata
- Creamy Keto Shrimp and Cauliflower Cheese Grits
- Mexican Shrimp Avocado Cauliflower Rice Bowl
- Thai Spicy Seafood Salad
Instant Pot Mussels
- 2 lbs mussels fresh and rinsed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp green onion or shallot, finely chopped
- ½ lemon freshly squeezed
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup dry white wine optional
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp chili flakes
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley or mint, finely chopped (for serving, optional)
- lemon wedges for serving, optional
- Rinse mussels under cold water. If your mussels have “beards,” pull them backward to remove. Discard all broken, cracked, or opened mussels.
- Remove the lid from your Instant Pot. Press the “saute” button on the “normal” setting and wait until the screen says “hot.”
- Add butter. When the butter is melted, add chopped onion and saute for 1.5-2 minutes or until translucent. Add garlic and chili flakes and continue to cook for one more minute.
- Pour in ¼ cup of wine, give a stir, and saute for 1 minute to evaporate. Squeeze half of a lemon in, add chicken broth, and stir again.
- Add mussels to the instant pot and mix to coat with sauce. Put the lid on and place the valve to “seal.”
- Press “cancel” on your instant pot and then hit “manual” and adjust the time to 3 minutes.
- When the time is up, release the valve. Be careful as the steam is hot!
- Take the lid off and remove mussels from the instant pot. Pour with the desired amount of sauce, sprinkle with finely chopped parsley or mint if you want and serve with some lemon wedges. Enjoy!