Spinach is one of the best leafy greens that can be consumed both fresh and cooked in various forms. When it comes to keto, spinach is your best friend and you can be creative and explore many dishes.
Even on a ketogenic diet, consuming only meat can’t be good. Balance is also important, especially when we want to artificially bring up the process of ketosis in our bodies by making it burn the already existing fat.
You can use spinach to make many different types of salads, but today we’ll be making a low carb creamy and cheesy soup.
We’ll be using bone broth to be the base of this soup. A correctly made bone broth can stay in the fridge for a long time waiting to be used in soups or as a base for sauces.
If you still don’t feel comfortable making your own broth, we recommend buying these keto friendly bone broth products from the store because they come from grass-fed, organic, and pasture-raised sources that are free from antibiotics, hormones, and harmful toxins.
Bone broth is an excellent source of collagen, which is the most abundant protein in the body. It’s found primarily in your connective tissues and can be used to improve joint health and flexibility. Many people also take collagen to help improve hair, skin, and nail health.
If you are serious about keto, you should remember that it’s a lifestyle, not a short time solution. Therefore, you will have to eventually learn to become good in the kitchen because it’s not just about eating the food but also enjoying the process of buying and preparing it, too.
Let’s Do It!
In a medium pot, add butter and garlic in. Saute for 30 seconds.
Add spinach in and saute until softened.
Add chicken broth (or beef broth) in and simmer for 5 minutes.
In the meantime, bake bacon in the oven or fry in a pan until crispy then chop into small bits. Skip this step if you already have bacon bits available or if you use store-bought bacon bits.
Remove from the stove and pour the mixture into a blender and puree the soup. You can also use an immersion blender and blend directly in the pot.
Pour back the mixture into the pot and put back on the stove. Add Parmesan and heavy cream. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Bring to boil and turn off the heat.
Pour the soup into a bowl and garnish with crispy bacon bits and Parmesan (optional). Enjoy!
Save this recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
Creamy Spinach Soup With Crispy Bacon
- Melt the butter in a medium pot. Add minced garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped spinach to the pot and saute until wilted. Pour in 4 cups of chicken broth and simmer for 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, fry bacon in another pan or bake in the oven until crispy then chop into small pieces. You can use store-bought crispy bacon bits, too.
- Turn off the heat, insert the immersion blender and puree the soup.
- Return the pot back to the stove. Add heavy cream and Parmesan and heat through. Season with ground nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Pour the soup to the plates and garnish with chopped bacon and Parmesan (optional). Enjoy!