If you’ve ever had a beef shawarma sandwich before, then you know how addicting they can be! However, eating around the pita bread to get the delicious filling out is messy and embarrassing. It’s much easier to enjoy your beef shawarma in a bowl using this recipe instead.
This beef recipe has all your favorite Middle Eastern flavors, including oregano, allspice, cloves, and garlic. The meat is also flavored with apple cider vinegar, which has been shown to help support a healthy weight while also boosting immune function with its antibacterial properties (1) (2).
Just be sure to buy the kind that contains “the mother,” which ensures that the product contains all the beneficial enzymes and nutrients intact. You’ll usually find this in organic and unpasteurized or unfiltered brands.
We love cooking with vegetables because they are nutrient-dense, vitamin-boosters. Instead of wrapping your fillings in pita bread, which contains too many carbs to be eaten on a keto diet, this recipe pairs the beef with lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, and red onions.
You can top your bowl with tahini dressing. If you’re not familiar with tahini, it’s a paste that is made from ground sesame seeds. Check the label of your bottle as some contain more carbs than others.
However, sesame seeds are generally keto-friendly as they are high in fiber and healthy fats. If you buy tahini from the store, make sure it contains no added sugars.
The best part about this recipe is that you can make it in the instant pot, which cuts down the amount of time it takes to cook. It also consolidates your cooking utensils so you have less to clean!
In our keto instant pot recipes, we use the 3-Quart Duo Mini 7-in-1 model. Our instant pot has 13 standard programs – soup/broth, meat/stew, bean/chili, slow cook, sauté, rice, porridge, steam, yogurt, keep warm, and pressure cook.
The 6 and 8-Quart Duo have two extra presets for multigrain and poultry. Other models of instant pot may have additional programs like “cake,” “egg” or “Sous Vide.”
To fully satisfy your Middle Eastern cravings, serve this bowl with a fattoush salad for lunch or dinner.
Let’s Do It!
Mix the dry spices together in a bowl. Add the olive oil and lemon juice. Stir well.
Pour the seasoning mixture over the beef and toss well. Cover with plastic wrap and let marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Set the instant pot to “saute.” Add olive oil to the instant pot and allow to warm up. Then add beef and cook until browned. Take beef out and set aside.
Add the garlic and onion and cook until soft. Then add the beef back in.
Pour in the beef broth and apple cider vinegar. Stir well. Close the lid and set the valve to “sealing.” Press “pressure cook” and cook on high for 9 minutes on high. When done, allow the steam to release naturally.
Arrange the lettuce in a bowl. Top with beef, tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, and tahini dressing.
More Low-carb Instant Pot Beef Recipes You Can Try:
Instant Pot Beef Shawarma Bowls
To assemble bowls:
- 1 cup lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1 cucumber medium, sliced
- ¼ red onion small, sliced
- 2 tbsp tahini keto-friendly
- Prepare the seasoning. In a small bowl, mix together all dry ingredients. Add olive oil and lemon juice and stir well.
- Pour prepared seasoning over sliced beef and toss well. Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Turn the “saute” mode on your instant pot. Pour in olive oil and wait until hot. Add beef slices and saute for 4-5 minutes or until browned. Take the beef out of the instant pot.
- Add onion and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes. When onion and garlic become soft, return the beef to the pressure cooker.
- Pour in beef broth and apple cider vinegar and stir well. Close the lid and turn the valve to “sealing.” Press “pressure cook” (manual) and cook at high pressure for 9 minutes.
- Once the cooking time ends, let the pressure release naturally.
- Arrange a bed of lettuce in each bowl and top with the beef slices, tomatoes, cucumbers and red onion. Drizzle with dressing and enjoy.