Craving some Mexican food but strictly on the keto diet? No worries! Today we will be making a crowd-favorite Mexican dish called Huevos Rancheros.
Basically, this is just fried eggs with a twist of the authentic Mexican flavor. It has some spicy chili sauce, red pepper, and beans to complete the experience.
However, we won’t be using beans because they are not on the keto-friendly veggies list. Beans are a legume, and although they are an excellent source of fiber, they have too many carbs to be consumed on a low-carb diet.
Huevos Rancheros is best served with tortillas, but to make it keto-friendly, we need to make it with cheddar and mozzarella cheese. These cheese tortillas are perfectly crispy just like real tortillas, but without the carbs, as they do not contain corn or gluten.
The other ingredients in the original recipe still remain the same as they make an excellent addition to the keto diet. This is especially true of the spices as they provide anti-inflammatory antioxidants and vitamins as well as plenty of flavor.
We have always believed in the great chefs saying that the most extraordinary dishes come from the most ordinary ingredients.
Cheese tortilla perfectly complements Huevos Rancheros. They both make you full enough to keep you going until the next meal and give your body enough fat and protein to get you through the day.
The good thing about this dish is that it is custom-made to benefit the keto-dieters out there.
In fact, its ingredients are perfect for the keto diet. Eggs are rich in healthy fats, protein and vitamins. They are extremely low in carbohydrates and have tons of macronutrients.
Egg is also great for breakfast as it does not require much time to prepare. The best part is its availability. You can literally find them anywhere in the market and even in your own fridge.
Adding cheese to your diet also gives your taste buds better flavor than the regular meal you usually serve. It is full of calcium, protein, and healthy vitamins.
Jalapeno pepper in the dish also helps speed up your metabolism to burn your fats faster. This is because peppers contain a compound called capascain that helps “heat up” the body due to its thermogenic effect, which can help you burn more calories (1).
Feel free to experiment with other keto ingredients too. Try adding prosciutto or meat to your meal to make your diet process less of a sacrifice and more of an enjoyment.
Let’s Do It!
In a medium-sized non-stick pan, heat some oil while preparing the ingredients for the mince.
Saute the chopped onion for 2 minutes then add the jalapeno and the chicken to the pan. Saute for another 3 to 4 minutes.
Add the seasonings (ground cumin, salsa, garlic powder, and some salt and pepper) to taste. Continue cooking on low for 6 to 8 more minutes.
Transfer the mince to a plate and fry the eggs in the same pan. Set aside.
Make the cheese tortilla by combining the cheddar and mozzarella in a bowl. Make 2 tortillas from the mixture.
Fry each one for some 2 to 3 minutes or wait until the cheese melts.
Transfer the tortillas on a plate. Top them with the mince, egg, salsa, and feta. Add some cilantro then serve.
Save this recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
Keto Huevos Rancheros
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 onion chopped
- 4 oz chicken mince
- ½ jalapeno pepper chopped
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 cup salsa low carb, divided
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil divided
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella shredded
- 1 oz feta crumbled
- 1 tbsp fresh cilantro chopped
- Pan fry the chopped onion in heated oil for about 2 minutes to make it soft. Toss in the chicken and jalapeno and stir for 3 to 4 minutes to cook. Season with salt and pepper, ground cumin, garlic powder, and the salsa. Set the stove on low and leave the dish to cook for 6 to 8 minutes.
- In another non-stick pan, fry the eggs in half a tablespoon of oil.
- Combine the mozzarella and cheddar in a small bowl and stir to mix well. Separate the mixture into 2 parts. Pan fry each of the cheese tortillas in the non-stick pan for about 2 to 3 minutes. Let the cheese melt before transferring to a plate.
- Layer each tortilla with the cooked toppings. Add the egg, feta, and salsa and dredge with cilantro before serving.