Let’s make a refreshing change to chicken. Everyone loves a caprese salad which normally consists of cheese, tomato slices, vinegar, and basil. This time, why not to try a baked chicken caprese?
With just a few simple ingredients including fresh mozzarella and basil leaves, you can make this healthy, stand-out chicken breast dinner in under 30 minutes.
If you want to add more flavor to your caprese chicken, just marinate the breasts using the combination of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning (or any other seasoning of your choice), salt and pepper. If you want to keep the carb low, use white or apple cider vinegar instead of balsamic.
For the best taste, pour the marinade into a resealable plastic bag or food container, add chicken breasts and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to overnight.
By cutting each breast widthwise slits every 1/2 inch (the hasselback technique), this allows you to fill the breast with amazing flavors such as cheese, tomato, spinach, etc… and the seasoning will absorb inside each the meat better. This also helps to cook faster.
[page_section color=’#2c3e50′ textstyle=’light’ position=’default’] [/page_section]
[thrive_headline_focus title=”Let’s Ketofy It!” orientation=”center”]
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Slice 4-5 deep cuts in each chicken breast using a sharp knife but don’t slice all the way through the meat. Dredge the chicken with black pepper and sea salt. Lay the chicken on the baking sheet.
Thinly slice the mozzarella and tomatoes. Fill the cuts in the chicken with a tomato slice, mozzarella slice, and basil leaf. Sprinkle the chicken with vinegar and olive oil.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, ensuring the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
While the chicken bakes, chop the remaining basil leaves into strips.
Remove the chicken from the oven and top with basil. Serve.
Watch how we prepared this here:
Save this recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
- Pan Fried Spinach Stuffed Chicken
- Primavera Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- Stuffed Chicken Breasts With Spinach, Tomatoes and Cheese
Keto Caprese Hasselback Chicken Breast
- Prepare a baking sheet lined with parchment paper while preheating the oven to 400°F.
- Slice 4-5 deep cuts in the chicken breasts, just enough to fit the tomato, basil, and mozzarella filling. Dredge each side of the breast with some black pepper and sea salt. Lay on the lined baking sheet.
- Chop the tomatoes and mozzarella into thin portions. Insert a slice of tomato, mozzarella, and a basil leaf in the slits of the chicken breast.
- Sprinkle the vinegar and olive oil onto the chicken.
- Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes or wait until the chicken is cooked through.
- While baking, chop the remaining basil leaves into strips.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove from the oven and garnish with the chopped basil leaves. Serve.