Catfish is one of the best ways to boost your intake of precious omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids. Its superb taste is something everybody agrees on.
This recipe contains freshly squeezed orange juice and some orange extract for a beautiful sweet taste and mouthwatering aroma you will absolutely love. Optionally serve with some grilled orange slices and enjoy!
Catfish is a great source of complete proteins which help your body build a lean muscle mass. This high-fat fish is a perfect keto option for a delicious lunch or dinner.
Besides, catfish contains high amounts of vitamin B-12 and it’s great for heart heath, nervous system, digestive health, joints, and weight loss.
Let’s Ketofy It!
Wash the fish under cold running water. If there are still any entrails, discard them. Spread the cavity apart to wash the inside as well. Pat the fish with a kitchen towel to dry then reserve.
Prepare the marinade for the fish. Stir together the rest of the ingredients (except rosemary and orange slices) in a large bowl. Mix them well until fully combined. Soak the fish in the marinade and make sure that the whole fish is covered. Leave in the fridge for half an hour prior to grilling.
When the grill is preheated at medium-low heat, slowly strain the marinade and settle the fish on the grill rack.
Let the fish grill for 4-5 minutes a side just so it can turn nice and crispy to your liking. Brush with more marinade (around 3 tbsp) to preserve the flavor, moisture, and juiciness while grilling. When done, transfer to a serving plate and dust with rosemary. Place some orange slices on top and at the sides.
Best enjoyed hot with your favorite low-carb veggies.
Grilled Catfish with Tangy Orange
- 1 lb catfish young flathead, cleaned, about 6 pieces
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice (or lemon juice)
- 1 tsp orange extract sugar-free
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil for marinating
- 1 tsp red chili flakes
- 1 tsp dried thyme ground
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp dried rosemary ground
- Grilled orange slices for garnishing
- Rinse the fish thoroughly under cold running water. Remove the entrails, if any. Spread the cavity with your fingers and wash it from the inside with a good stream. Pat dry each fish using a kitchen paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine olive oil, orange juice, orange extract, chili flakes, dried thyme, garlic, and salt. Mix until combined and submerge fish in this mixture. Coat well and refrigerate for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Preheat the grill to a medium-low heat. Drain the fish and place on a grill rack.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes on each side or until nice and crispy. Generously brush the fish with the marinade while grilling. About three tablespoons will be enough. This will keep the moisture and juiciness. Remove from the grill and sprinkle with rosemary. Garnish with grilled orange slices.
- Serve with low-carb veggies and enjoy while it’s still hot.