Cooking with one kind of cheese is always good, but using two types is even better! Our keto cheese combination is the best, and the air fryer perfectly combines them in a light and crispy way.
If you haven’t used your air fryer in awhile, then this recipe will make you fall in love with it again. Our air fried mozzarella sticks are gluten-free and much healthier than the ones you’ll find on the appetizer menu at most restaurants.
Traditional mozzarella sticks are usually breaded and deep-fried in vegetable oil. They are high in carbs and inflammatory ingredients. These cheese sticks are best avoided even if you aren’t following a low-carb diet!
However, our recipe calls for almond flour in place of enriched flour. It’s gluten-free, low in carbs, and high in healthy fats. Plus, almond flour is much higher in fiber than white flour.
Research shows that fiber helps promote fullness so that you eat fewer calories per day. Fiber has also been shown to prevent the risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and even cancer (*).
Getting proper amounts of fiber in your diet is especially important on keto. Almond flour helps fill in the gaps. You should also add plenty of low-carb veggies to your plate as well.
Cheese further contributes to the nutrition of this recipe. It’s a good source of B vitamins, including vitamin B12. Research shows that vitamin B12 helps reduce the risk of chronic disease (*).
The second cheese we use in this recipe is Parmesan. Cheese contains the fat soluble vitamins A, D, and E. These vitamins are essential for calcium absorption, cell membrane protection, and bone health.
Serve this recipe with your favorite low-carb dip, such as homemade ranch or marinara sauce.It’s definitely one of the best keto appetizers for a party.
Let’s Do It!
Here’s how to make mozzarella sticks in air fryer:
Slice the Mozzarella sticks in half, forming a total of 16 cheese sticks.
Combine the almond flour, grated Parmesan, and seasonings in a bowl. Mix well. This will be your low-carb breading.
Beat an egg in another bowl. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
Dip each Mozzarella stick in the beaten egg then dip in the dry ingredient mixture. Repeat until you use up all ingredients.
Preheat the air fryer to 400 degrees F. Grease the fryer basket with olive oil. Place the cheese sticks on top and cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp.
Serve with marinara sauce or ranch.
Air Fryer Mozzarella Sticks
- Cut Mozzarella sticks in half crosswise, forming a total of 16 cheese sticks.
- In a shallow bowl, combine almond flour, grated Parmesan, and all seasonings. Mix well.
- In another bowl, beat an egg.
- Line a baking sheet (you could also use a tray or cutting board) with parchment paper.
- Dip each cheese stick in the beaten egg then coat with the dry ingredients and place on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Repeat this process until you cover all of the sticks with the ingredients. Place the sheet with the cheese sticks into the freezer. Freeze minimum for 1 hour or overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat the air fryer to 400°F. Grease or spray an air fryer basket with olive oil. Air fry cheese sticks in small batches for 6-8 minutes or until crisp.
- Serve with marinara sauce or any other your favorite low-carb dip.
Similar recipe you can try: Keto Fried Mozzarella Bites