Want to get some Italian cuisine into your diet? Perfect! Because today we will be cooking a special Italian appetizer that would surely be a hit on your dinner table: the fried mozzarella bites. They are great as appetizers but go well as a side dish for wine or beer too.
It can be your go-to snack to satisfy your cravings, a delicious way to start your low-carb party, or just a mini addition to your main course.
To make this dish keto-friendly for you, we will only make use of keto-approved ingredients so you wouldn’t have to worry about gaining weight while enjoying this dish.
The star ingredient of our dish is, of course, mozzarella. This particular type of cheese is well-known to be the super cheese. You can use shape it into sticks, squares or balls for this recipe.
Just 1 ounce of this cheese contains 14% of your daily calcium needs and it has incredibly high amounts of protein that keeps your muscles going through the day.
The other ingredients used in the original fried mozzarella are replaced with more low-carb products.
For example, the regular or all purpose flour is substituted with coconut flour. This type of flour is actually recommended for the keto diet as it is considered low carb and gluten-free. It offers plenty of other benefits as well, like boosting metabolism, maintaining healthy blood sugar levels, and lowering bad cholesterol (1).
Eggs are also thrown into the recipe as they are one of nature’s superfoods packed in a single shell. Add a variety of Italian seasonings in your dish to give it the European feels and voila! The perfect high-protein high-fat snack and appetizer your family will surely love.
Let’s Ketofy It!
Cut out your mozzarella into 1-inch cubes.
Combine the eggs and heavy cream in a bowl. Beat continuously until smooth.
Add the seasonings (Italian spices, garlic powder, salt, pepper) in another bowl with the coconut flour. Mix to combine.
Coat each mozzarella cube with enough egg batter before rolling them into the flour.
Deep fry the mozzarella cubes in about 2 inches of olive oil or coconut oil. Cook for 60 seconds or until the cheese turns golden.
Best served while warm with your favorite dip. You can use home made marinara or mayo sauce.
Save this recipe by pinning this picture to your Pinterest board for later use!
Keto Fried Mozzarella Bites
- Slice your mozzarella cheese into cubes about an inch thick.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl together with the heavy cream. Whisk to make a homogeneous mixture.
- Mix together the Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and coconut flour in a separate bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover the mozzarella cubes with the egg batter then roll them on the flour.
- Pour about 2 inches of olive oil in a pan to deep fry the mozzarella cubes. Using a balls frying pan is also ok. Place the cubes in a slotted spoon and dip it into the oil. Fry for about a minute or wait til the flour goldens. Do this for all of the cubes.
- Transfer everything to a plate with your choice of sauce on the side.
Like we said before, you can use mozzarella sticks for this recipe. How long should you deep fry mozzarella sticks? About 1 minute. Make sure to check and remove as soon as the outside becomes golden. You don’t want to fry it too long or it will melt.