Sometimes it’s hard to tell whether or not you’re in ketosis, especially if you’re new to the ketogenic diet.
Measuring your ketones levels is the best way to know for sure. There are a couple of ways you can do this. You can measure your ketones via your urine, blood, or breath.
Breath measurement is often the quickest and easiest way to determine your ketone levels. It’s also very convenient because you can do it just about anywhere.
In the beginning of the keto diet, if you want a quick and convenient testing method, you’ll want to invest in a high-quality keto breath analyzer. If you want the most accurate method, a blood meter is preferred.
We reviewed the House of Keto Monitor™ and we’re sharing our findings with you here.
Here’s why you should consider measuring your ketone levels by breath and why the House of Keto Monitor™ is a must for your ketogenic diet.
Why Measure Ketones By Breath?
When it comes to measuring your ketone levels, you’ll want a method that is convenient so you can check your levels several times a day, especially in the beginning to make sure you get it right.
Blood testing is the most accurate, but it requires you to poke your finger several times a day and many people don’t want to do that. Even though the needle is tiny, it still leaves your finger a bit sensitive afterward.
Urine testing is also a good way to measure your ketone levels, but it requires you to find a restroom and carry ketone urine strips with you.
Using a breathalyzer to measure ketones is simple, effective, and convenient. You can test your levels almost anywhere, including in your car on the way to work, while sitting at your desk after lunch, or even while walking down the street.
Breath analyzers work by testing the amount of acetone levels in your body (1).
Acetone is one of three ketone bodies that are present when you go into ketosis. Your body uses ketone bodies as fuel instead of glucose when you’re in ketosis.
Your breath acetone levels are related to the amount of acetoacetate you have in your blood. Research shows that your acetone levels are also an indication of your fat loss (2).
Because of this, using a breathalyzer can determine where you’re at in terms of ketosis and weight loss.
If you see that your levels are low, you can increase your ketones level by eating a high-fat meal and keeping your carbs low down. Some people also take MCT oil or exogenous ketones which are optional.
What is the House of Keto Monitor™?
The House of Keto Monitor™ is a breathalyzer much like the ones you would use if you were to measure your alcohol levels.
It’s designed to measure the acetone levels in your breath, which is a direct indication of the levels of ketones that you have in your blood.
This number will help you determine whether or not you have enough ketones in your body to be considered fat-adapted. It’s the perfect, portable way to measure your ketones.
We recommend it as a must-have if you’re serious about testing your ketosis, especially in the beginning.
Here are some highlights of the product:
- Accurate results: results are consistent with blood ketone meters when compared side by side for several weeks
- Cheaper to use than urine strips and a blood monitor because you don’t have to restock on blood or urine strips
- Does not require you to poke your finger or urinate on a strip
- You can test your levels several times a day, anywhere you want, and it’s painless
- Half the price of other breathalyzers, which can run up to $60
- Results are guaranteed within ten seconds of blowing into the device
- It’s small and portable and can be stored just about anywhere
- Features a 30-day money back guarantee
- Order online and have it delivered right to your day
- It lasts longer than other breathalyzers
How Does It Work and How To Use It
As we mentioned above, the House of Keto Monitor™ works by measuring the levels of acetone in your breath. This helps determine the levels of ketones in your blood.
When you have a high level of ketones in your blood, it’s a good indication that your body is using fat instead of glucose as fuel. You can also check out our tips here to find out whether or not you’re in ketosis.
Using the House of Keto Monitor™ is very simple. It works just like any breathalyzer that you would use to check your blood alcohol count. To use, follow these simple steps:
- Make sure the device is turned on by pressing the power button.
- Allow the device to warm up for a few seconds.
- Take a deep breath and blow into the device for ten seconds. Do not blow too hard, but make sure you blow hard enough for the device to read your ketone levels. Breathe into the device until the countdown on the machine goes from ten to one. Blowing this long makes sure that the breathalyzer reads the air that is located deep down in your lungs, which is a good indication of your ketone levels.
- Read your results! If you’re in ketosis, then your readings should be right around 0.2-0.6 g/l readings. Make sure to repeat several times a day.
Here are some tips for getting the most accurate reading:
- Your most accurate results will always be the first thing in the morning. It’s a good idea to test your breath when you first get up before you’ve had anything to eat.
- You’ll also want to avoid drinking alcohol for ten hours before testing to make sure nothing interferes with your reading. If you’re trying to get into ketosis, it’s never a good idea to drink alcohol anyway as it turns into sugar in your body!
- Make sure you aren’t dehydrated when trying to get a reading as this can throw off your results.
- Keep track of your results and test at the same times every day so that you can compare notes. This will allow you to adjust your meals as needed if you get a low ketone reading.
- Pay special attention to your readings that are based off the air that you blow during the last few seconds of the countdown. The air that is deep in your lungs will give you a more accurate reading than fresh air that you blow within the first few seconds.
For more information about how to use the House of Keto Monitor™, check out one of the reviews from their customers here:
What Should My Ketone Levels Be?
Your ketone level readings may vary depending on what method you use (urine, breath or blood).
Many ketone measuring devices will come with instructions and a guide for how to test your ketone levels and what they mean.
Generally, your blood ketone levels will be anywhere from 1.5–3.0 mmol/L if you are in ketosis (3). However, some sources state that nutritional ketosis begins at 0.5 mmol/L.
The lower you can get your levels, the better chance you will have at staying in ketosis.
Also remember that every device is different. It’s always best to use your product as directed by the package label for the most accurate results.
Does It Matter What Time of Day I Test My Ketone Levels?
For the most accurate reading, you should test your ketone levels as soon as you wake up in the morning before you’ve had anything to eat or drink.
You can also wait several hours after a meal during the day if you want an accurate reading on the go. You’ll want to wait until you’ve had time to digest a meal before testing whether your ketone levels have gone up or down.
Can Certain Foods Affect My Ketone Levels?
Testing your ketone levels after you eat is a good way to determine whether you’ve indulged in too many carbs.
Foods that are high in carbohydrates will lower your blood ketone levels, which will affect your breathalyzer reading. Focus on high-quality fats and MCT oil to boost your ketone levels.
What Happens If I Get A Low Ketone Reading?
If you get a low ketone reading that indicates you are not in ketosis, then make sure your next meal is high in fat. Some people might drink exogenous ketones while also limiting as many carbs, however, these keto drinks are not necessary. Higher reading doesn’t mean you’re burning more fat.
Many people adopt the ketogenic diet for one or more of its many benefits. But you won’t reap these benefits if you’re not in ketosis. Because of this, it’s a good idea to measure your ketone levels.
There are three ways you can do this. You can either test your blood, urine or breath. Testing your breath is the simplest, most convenient, and least expensive way to make sure you’re in ketosis. It also doesn’t involve needles or the need to find a bathroom!
We recommend the House of Keto Monitor™ because it’s small, portable, and provides accurate results. It’s also extremely easy to use. You can test your ketone levels as many times as you want during the day, and you also have the convenience of testing anywhere you are.
This product is cheaper than other breathalyzers on the market yet it still provides results that are consistent with blood ketone meters.
Additionally, you don’t need to restock on ketone blood or urine test strips. You can purchase the House of Keto Monitor™ by visiting their website here for best price! Don’t forget to use coupon discount code HOK10% for 10% off.