Salads don’t have to be boring. They also don’t have to include lettuce. Our chicken salad stuffed avocado recipe brings salad to life. It’s also a fun way to utilize an avocado shell!
Avocado is one of the best foods on the planet you can eat. It’s high in monounsaturated fats, which are good for your heart, fight inflammation, and may have anti-cancer properties (1, 2, 3).
Some studies have found that avocado helps with weight management. This is likely due to the high fiber content they provide, which can keep you full so that you eat fewer calories (4).
Chicken is high in protein and very low in carbs. We recommend using organic chicken that is free from antibiotics and other harmful preservatives.
You can use homemade mayonnaise or look for a brand that does not contain added sugars. You’ll also want to find a brand that uses olive oil or avocado oil in place of canola or soybean oil.
The onion and celery give this salad a great crunch while the tomato is visually appealing. These ingredients also increase the recipe’s nutritional value.
Celery is made of mostly water. Because of this, it can help keep you hydrated.
Onion is a prebiotic food, which means that it “feeds” the good bacteria in your gut. This can help promote digestive health, decrease inflammation, and boost your immune system (5, 6, 7, 8).
Tomatoes are a good source of lycopene, which has been shown to possess anti-cancer properties. It also contributes to the sweetness of the salad (9, 10).
We recommend using fresh lime juice to brighten up the salad and give it a fresh finish. Enjoy as a snack or in place of a traditional avocado boat.
Let’s Do It!
To make, slice the avocados in half and remove the pits. Take ¼ avocado flesh out of each fruit to create room for the chicken salad.
Prepare the chicken by boiling or baking it. Cut into strips when it’s cooled and cooked.
Slice the tomato, onion, and celery, and add to a bowl. Add the chicken and mashed avocado flesh to the bowl with the vegetables. Mix well with mayonnaise.
Fill the avocado pit holes with the chicken mix.
Sprinkle with fresh lemon juice and olive oil. Top with salt and pepper.
Chicken Salad Stuffed Avocados
- 2 avocados medium, seed removed.
- 1 cup chicken breast cooked and cut into small pieces
- 1/2 onion small
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 sprig celery
- 1 tomato small
- 1 tbsp lime juice fresh, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp olive oil to drizzle on top, optional
- Halve the avocados and remove the seeds. Use a spoon and take 1/4 of the avocado flesh out of each avocado. Set the scooped avocado flesh aside for the chicken salad. This will also make the hole bigger so you can fill it with the chicken salad.
- Cook chicken breast by boiling or baking it (can use chicken thighs) and cut it into small strips
- Peel and finely slice the onions, tomato and celery.
- To make the chicken salad: add the chicken, mayonnaise, tomato, onion, celery and mashed avocado to a mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Scoop this salad mix into the avocado halves to fill the pit holes.
- Squeeze in fresh lime juice if you want and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle olive oil on top if you want to. Serve on a bed of lettuce.