Macaroni and cheese might be the only thing your kids will eat, but now you can enjoy it as an adult, too. Our keto mac and cheese is the perfect way to give everyone in your house what they want while sneaking in some veggies without an official protest.
Our mac & cheese recipe uses cauliflower in place of traditional gluten-laden pasta noodles, which are hard to digest and spike an inflammatory response in some people.
If you’ve never tried cauliflower in place of noodles, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the taste. Cauliflower has a very mild flavor that takes on the taste of whatever you’re cooking with. In this case, it tastes like the cheesy goodness found in regular mac and cheese. But you won’t be left feeling bloated or stuck in brain fog after.
Research shows that cauliflower contains unique plant compounds that may reduce the risk of several diseases, including heart disease and cancer (1). Additionally, it’s weight loss friendly and incredibly easy to add to your diet.
Cheeses prove to be the easiest way to boost protein consumption. They are also a great way to hide veggies for those picky eaters. A high protein intake can help with weight loss, increase muscle mass and improve health.
The spices in this recipe might only be minimal, but they contribute a great deal of flavor to the dish. They also provide a good source of vitamins and antioxidants.
This recipe is best enjoyed hot, but you can also freeze a batch and heat it up for a quick snack or bite to eat later. For an even tastier treat, try adding cooked, chopped bacon to the sauce and stir in so that all the cauliflower florets are coated.
Let’s Do It!
Divide the cauliflower into florets. Steam for 5 minutes and drain well.
Melt a tablespoon of butter in a saucepan. Add cream cheese, cheddar, mozzarella, heavy cream and seasonings. Stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes until smooth.
Combine the florets with cheese sauce.
Mix well to coat and transfer to a baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
More keto cauliflower recipes you can try:
- Mexican Shrimp Avocado Cauliflower Rice Bowl
- Chilli Con Carne with Cauliflower Rice
- Beef and Asparagus Stir-Fry with Cauliflower Rice
- Cauliflower Gnocchi with Gorgonzola Sauce
Keto Mac and Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Divide the cauliflower into florets. Steam them for 5 minutes and drain well.
- In a pot, melt a tablespoon of butter. Add cream cheese, cheddar, mozzarella, heavy and cream. Season with paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt and black pepper. Stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes until smooth.
- Combine cauliflower florets with the sauce. Mix well to coat and transfer to a baking dish. Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Serve immediately sprinkled with chopped fried bacon (optional).